cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Naiboss
Beginner
Message 1 of 15

Sudden loss of speed, just after extending my contract...

I've been a happy BT Infinity 2 customer since March 2014.  My speed has been a very steady 64Mb down, 19Mb up with a ping of around 10ms (sometimes as low as 5ms!) on a HH5B.  Two weeks ago, however, BT invited me to get the new "Smart Hub" (HH6?) if I extended my contract for another 18 months... and, given how happy I'd been with the service, I saw no reason to turn it down.

Sadly, at some point around the time I extend and installed the new HH6 my speed dropped to 43Mb/13Mb/39ms.  At first I though it was just taking time to get back up to speed... but after a few days it was still the same so I connected BT Care.  After going through the speed tests, checking my socket, using the test socket etc... nothing had changed and I was told to give it a couple of days.  I gave it a few days and nothing had changed so I contacted them again... went through all the same tests and answered all the same questions I had done before.  Eventually, after three hours of going back and forth, the BT person said that the speed was with 80-90% of their "point of sale" speed so they would not be sending out an engineer because nothing was wrong.  This was the first time in two years I had ever heard of the "point of sale" speed (i.e. the speed they guarantee when they sign you up).  After further discussion, they "reset the connection from their end" and, yet again, to give it a couple of days (which felt more like "go away, I'm not going to do anything else").

It's now been two weeks and although the "reset" improved the connection, only to 47Mb/16Mb/25ms, so I'm still getting considerably less than I have done for the last two years.

Has anyone else experienced this? Have I missed something? While it's not slow, I'm paying for BT Infinity 2 and have been getting those speeds until now.  It almost feeels like someone has accidently put me on BT Infinity 1.  Do I accept the new speed and push to be lowered to BT Infinity 1 so at least I'm not paying for something I'm not getting?

I have plugged the old HH5B back in, just in case, and the speed was still poor, so whatever the issue, it appears to be in the connection.

I'm getting no joy with BT so I'm hoping someone else has some words of enlightment.  Thanks in advance!

Tags (4)
0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 15

Re: Sudden loss of speed, just after extending my contract...

if you have a HH6 go to advanced setting then post stats from technical log

can you run btspeedtester and when first test completes then run diagnostic test and post results  must be done with wired connection  btspeedtester

are you using the test socket with a filter

can you enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number wholesale FTTC check

try quiet line test   dial 17070 option 2  should be quiet and best with corded phone

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Naiboss
Beginner
Message 3 of 15

Hi imjolly, thanks for the quick response... I've had to pop into the office briefly so here are the FTTC check results and I'll post the speed test and quiet line results as soon as I'm back at home.

I'm not using the test socket at the moment, but I have run speed tests through it and the results were no different (but I will go back to using it, just to be on the safe side).

AvailabilityChecker.jpg

0 Ratings
Pakster
Message 4 of 15

Hello,

I am getting exactly the same problem as you after renewing my contract with the new smart hub 6.

My speeds have fallen from 56kbps to 44kbps. Now matter what I do forcing re-syncs and putting the old home hub 5 back does not raise my speeds back again.

Here is a clip of my router technical log page;

router.PNG

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 15

Forcing re-syncs won't help as it will invoke DLM action which is probably why your speed has dropped. You have a high noise margin, just leave things in a stable condition and DLM will take action to return your speed.

0 Ratings
Pakster
Message 6 of 15

If I leave it will the DLM eventually reset the speeds.

Below is the speed from BT wholesale. The Ip profile seems to have been set low at contract renewal.

Capture.PNG

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 15

Yes, DLM will restore your speeds if it sees a stable line.

Your IP profile is a function of sync speed, it is not 'set'. Was the speed test carried out with a wired or wireless connection?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 15

from look of your stats it appears all the resets trying to improve things has just resulted in abanded profile

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Naiboss
Beginner
Message 9 of 15

Finally made it home.

Technical log:

Product name: BT Hub 6A
Serial number: +084319+NQ61929417
Firmware version: SG4B100021EC
Firmware updated: 12/05/16
Board version: 1.0
Gui version: 1.28.3
DSL uptime: 0 Days, 0 Hours 14 Minutes 20 Seconds
Data rate: 18.26 kbps / 51.27 kbps
Maximum data rate: 18264 / 64268
Noise margin: 6 / 6.1
Line attenuation: 17.7
Signal attenuation:  
VPI / VCI: 0/38
Modulation: G_993_2_ANNEX_B
Latency type: Fast Path
Data sent / received: 75 MB Uploaded / 261 MB Downloaded
Broadband username: bthomehub@btbroadband.com
BT Wi-fi: Not active
2.4 GHz wireless network name: BTHub6-XXXX
2.4 GHz wireless channel: Smart (Channel 1)
5 GHz wireless network name: BTHub6-XXXX
5 GHz wireless channel: Smart (Channel 36)
Wireless security: WPA2 (Recommended)
Band steering: Off
Wireless mode: Mode 1
Firewall: On
MAC address: XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX
Software variant: -
Boot loader: 7.33.1

(the "uptime" is low because I switched back to the test socket before I ran the test)

Speed test/IP profile:

IPProfile.jpg

Thanks again
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 15

@imjolly wrote:

from look of your stats it appears all the resets trying to improve things has just resulted in abanded profile

Well spotted, missed that in the new style hub6 stats.

Oh dear, @Pakster you've got a long wait for DLM to remove banding. I've been waiting 4 months and still hasn't been removed!

0 Ratings