cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Sudden problems with FTTC broadband

Go to solution

In what has been an eventful, painful and frustrating 2 months, we have been tackling a slowly crippled broadband line. For years we have enjoyed decent, as advertised speeds on our line. But suddenly in the past couple of months, we've gone from around 25mbps down and 3.5+Mbps up, to under 19mbps down and under 0.5mbps up. We have had at least 6 engineers round, a new line put in place and several complaints put in, but nothing has fully resolved the issue. Whenever ANYTHING uploads in the house, we suffer horrendous bufferbloat with ping reaching around 5 seconds (yes, 5000ms). This never used to be a problem until very recently.

Every engineer has, at the end of an appointment, performed a DLM reset. Immediately after, we receive our advertised speeds both up and down and enjoy it trouble free (and perfectly stable). For a day. Within/just after 24 hours, the speeds immediately jump back to under 19 down and 0.5 up, and usually worse. We have explained this multiple times to the online chat, to engineers and nothing concrete has been explained to us as for the reasoning behind this sudden drop, or why BT cannot offer the speeds we are meant to be receiving. We are honestly at our wits end. Below 0.5mbps upload is not enough for a modern household. Every device has background processes that may just cripple the internet due to uploading data (most phones backup photos over wi-fi automatically for instance). We cannot use the apparent 24, or even 19mbps we are apparently getting due to this. My father pays extortionate sums of money (around £60 per month) for this service, and frankly we need a solution or reason so that we can either get it properly resolved or move on to someone else. This probably sounds both entitled and rather pointless, but when you've suddenly had a huge shift in something you utilise literally every day for work and pleasure, we can't just sit around and ignore it.

Any help on the matter would be amazing. I've kept logs from the router both immediately after a DLM reset and also after it settles at its crippled speed if it's useful, along with some speed tests and guaranteed speeds from bt new user quotes etc. We just want to know what's going on and if possible what BT might be able to do about it.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: Sudden problems with FTTC broadband

Go to solution

Availability checker as of 1st of december.pngWholesale checker yesterday (most recent DLM reset)

Availability checker as of 2nd of december.pngWholesale checker as of today

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

Hi, @Prykie1995  Thanks for posting and welcome to the BT Community forum.

I'm sorry to see you're having issues with your broadband speed. Can you post your Home Hub router stats and we'll be happy to take a look? You'll get them by entering 192.168.1.254 in your browser

I'd also recommend checking for noise on the line by dialling 17070 and choosing option 2. The line should be silent.

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

Hub status page today.png

Hi, this is the status page from the router. Most of the speeds ive been measuring have been from the upstream and downstream sync from this page.

Hub advanced status page.png

 This is the page from the advanced technical log.

The line is actually surprisingly noisy even after the new line has been put in, however we were told this had fixed the issue.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

@Prykie1995 Thanks for getting back to me with the broadband stats. Any noise on the line will unfortunately also be impacting the broadband performance. I will send you a private message so you can send over your details to the moderation team and we'll be happy to help.

You'll find the private message by clicking on the envelope in the top right of the community.

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

Hi @Prykie1995,

Thank you for taking my call today. I'm sorry if you've been experiencing issues with your connection. I've run a few checks and is picking up that there is a fault on your line.

An engineer has been booked for Tuesday and I'll follow up with you again after the visit.

If you need anything in the meantime, please feel free to drop me a message.

Thanks,

Paddy

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

Hi, thanks so much for helping us out. The engineer you organised was fantastic and, touch wood, has fixed the problem entirely. Not only has the line cleaned up via the phone, but the broadband speed is higher than i've ever seen it (30.2 down and 5.5+ up).

I can't thank you enough, it's been a nightmare trying to get this thing sorted out but this seems to have finally put the problem to bed. I'll keep an eye on it in case anything happens but so far, so good.

Was definitely worth contacting you guys on the forum as i'm not sure this would've been solved any other way.

Prykie1995_0-1638986450656.png

Here's a screenshot of the technical log, as you can see it's night and day.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

That's awesome @Prykie1995 

I am really pleased that the engineer was able to sort this out.  And giving you the faster speed too 😁

Thanks for the kind words.  I'll be sure to let @PaddyB know that you've posted back.

Have a good evening.

Robbie

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

Hi @Prykie1995,

Thank you for posting back. I'm happy to see that the engineer has repaired the service.

If you ever need any help, you're more than welcome to post back on the Community.

Thanks,

Paddy

0 Ratings