cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GTFROME
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 10

Supefast Fibre 1 - Expected guaranteed download of 22Mbs, actual 14Mbs ? Cabinet is getting faster ?

I am no expert but I want to know if there is something I can do to get some more speed. The original quote I had was 22mbps so a lot better than Talk Talk 5.5 Mbps. Hence over to BT as they were increasing my speed x 4.

...we estimate your download speed will be between 27Mbps and 38Mbps, and your upload speed will be between 5.4Mbps and 7.7Mbps.  The minimum guaranteed speed you can expect from your broadband will be 22Mbps.

So we upgraded from copper but since the contract started 11 months ago we have never had anything better than a very stable 13-14Mbps on download and a again, a very consistent 5-6 on upload.

In January 2018 the checker said we were VDSL Range B Impacted - Downstream 14-27.4 with 11.3 Handback. So at the very bottom of the range. The latest checker now states an increased figure of 22.4 - 38.2 ( and now much closer to Range A  27.3 - 40 ) and a 16.5 Handback. I also now see 'observed speed' mentioned at 14.69 Mbps. So my question is about my lack of speed. Is it just that my line is in some way rubbish ? Or do the higher cabinet figures of today suggest that the connection was never that good and that BT have improved the transmission rates - so I really need to get them to open up the tap  to get more advantage.

Is it the case that if you were capped when you started then they would not do anything unless you complained ?

The BT tests always tell me that me that my speed is 'good' at 13-14 Mbps ?

When I  punch in my line as a new BT customer it still says today that I can expect 22Mbps so that adds to my confusion.

All tests are done on my wired pc directly into router, and as I say, the BT service has been incredibly stable so that in itself is a plus point.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 10

Re: Supefast Fibre 1 - Expected guaranteed download of 22Mbs, actual 14Mbs ? Cabinet is getting fast

Could you post the connection stats from the hub.

HH6 Advanced settings/technical log.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 10

Re: Supefast Fibre 1 - Expected guaranteed download of 22Mbs, actual 14Mbs ? Cabinet is getting fast

Are you using the test socket with a filter even if you have a filtered master socket and post stats as requested by @pippincp

@the checker speed are connection speeds not download speeds. There is guarantee on download speeds

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

@imjolly wrote:

@the checker speed are connection speeds not download speeds. There is guarantee on download speeds

The post should read. There is no guarantee on download speeds

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
GTFROME
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 10

Stats.jpg

0 Ratings
GTFROME
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 10

Cabinet Figures.jpgLatest Cabinet data

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 10

Are you using the test socket with a filter even if you have a filtered master socket to see if that improves your connection speed. If not can you try it and repost stats

0 Ratings
GTFROME
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 10

Sorry for delay in replying. I don't have a filtered socket but have tested the BT Hub straight into the the Master Socket and immediately achieved 20+ Mbps ( wi-fi reading ) without any difficulty. I traced back my internal telephone wiring and it looks like 5 metres of the flat ribbon cheap extension stuff feeding into the router from a junction due to its position in the house. I think I need to get a filtered faceplace and somewhow connect up the router directly with some decent cable. What would you recommend ?  Cheers

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 10

get the new fltered socket shown here probably from well known auction site  look for genuine openreach

https://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/helpandsupport/how-toguides/howtoguides/downloads/NTE5C_Instru...

I would then look for a shielded RJ11 cable like this which will connect direct to broadband socket on new master and then to router/hub

belkin shielded rj11_.jpg

0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 10

Just to add to what @imjolly has said, the extension cable can be RJ11 to RJ45 as the NTE5 data connection will accept RJ45 quite happily and that combination might be easier to find. You need to go for those that are pure copper & to CW1308 spec.

0 Ratings