cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
omgitzmo
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 14

Superfast 2 internet slower

I'm aware more people are staying home due to the virus, BT said that their network can handle it etc.

I've noticed that a month ago I was getting 72mbps consistently, for the past week or 2 I'm getting around 45mbps to 60mbps. Tried restarting the hub, tried disconnecting every device, troubleshooting. Is this because of people staying home and straining the network? Also about BT giving £20 if it drops below the guaranteed speed, what happens to that deal?

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 14

Re: Superfast 2 internet slower

Has you down connection speed dropped or is the 45/60mb download speed not connection speed.  Any guarantee is down connection speed not download speed

post hub/router stats

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Stumpy21
Contributor
Message 3 of 14

From the email I received from BT on Friday evening:

We’ll keep the UK connected and running

We’re constantly monitoring our broadband network, and have built in more than 10 times the capacity needed for everyday use. We have more than enough to handle the increase in people working from home, and the extra calls people will be making too.

So I would think that the Superfast 2 Stay Fast Guarantee of 34Mbps still stands at the moment.

0 Ratings
Carlusha
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 14

@Stumpy21wrote:

So I would think that the Superfast 2 Stay Fast Guarantee of 34Mbps still stands at the moment.

Superfast Fibre 2 has a Stay Fast Guarantee of 62Mbs according to BT. Perhaps the 34Mbs refers to the basic fibre FTTC guaranteed speed.

licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 14

Sync speed will not be affected by increased internet usage, it is purely the speed of the line between the cabinet and the user and is the speed that the guarantee refers to. Sync speed may be affected by crosstalk if more users are connected to a cabinet but not by increased use by those already connected.

0 Ratings
Stumpy21
Contributor
Message 6 of 14

@Carlusha 

Are we talking about the same service/package ? Have BT offered this package (similar name) previously at different speeds ? Without the "Fibre" in the title ?

I am  referring to the current BT Superfast Fibre 2 Unlimited package that is 74Mbps download and 20Mbps upload with a stay fast guarantee of 34Mbps.

0 Ratings
omgitzmo
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 14

My stay fast guarantee is 58mbps on BT's website by putting door number and postcode, guess it depends on the location

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 14

@omgitzmo 

the most accurate result using dslchecker is your phone number.  address is not quite as good and post code is not recommended

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
omgitzmo
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 14

Yep used that too using landline number, 58mbps

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 14

Is the  "stay fast guarantee" not individual to each customer and is based upon their line so you can not compare one person's guarantee speed with anothers.

https://www.bt.com/help/broadband/what-is-bt-s-stay-fast-guarantee-