Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Walthamcity
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 11

Superfast 3/4 vs Ultrafast 1/2

Go to solution
I just called BT to ask to upgrade to Ultrafast Fibre broadband. They said they couldn’t offer Ultrafast but offered Superfast 3 instead.

From what I can read online Superfast 3 and Ultrafast offer the same upload and download speeds, so what is the difference between these packages?

I’m a FTTP customer.

Thanks!
0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: Superfast 3/4 vs Ultrafast 1/2

Go to solution

ultrafast uses G.INP and connects to cabinet - not for people with FTTP already

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Walthamcity
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 11

Go to solution

Thanks! That’s interesting but it contradicts the information on the Ultrafast thread in this forum (first post) which states that Ultrafast is also offered as a FTTP product.

https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Fibre-broadband/BT-Ultrafast-fibre-broadband/

Confusing!

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 4 of 11

Go to solution

Ultrafast and Superfast are exactly the same, the product name was changed when G.Fast was introduced.

Ultrafast can be delivered by either G.Fast or FTTP.

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 5 of 11

Go to solution

You'll have to fix the link before I can comment.

0 Ratings
Walthamcity
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 11

Go to solution
https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Fibre-broadband/BT-Ultrafast-fibre-broadband/td-p/1820362

Not sure why the link isn’t working. It’s the main “sticky” post on this forum.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Walthamcity
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 11

Go to solution
These paragraphs seem relevant:

I have FTTP, why can’t I have Ultrafast?

Ultrafast always comes with our Speed Guarantee. To ensure that our customers can benefit from these speeds reliably, even at peak times, we are investing in and upgrading our core network that connects your FTTP network back to the internet. Where we've rolled out our network, you can purchase Ultrafast 1 and 2.

Why am I being offered Infinity option 3 and 4 and not Ultrafast 1 and 2?

For those areas where we are still in the process of upgrading our network, Infinity 3 and 4 will be available to purchase. We will let all customers know as soon as they are now ready to take Ultrafast 1 and 2.

But they’ve given me a speed guarantee on the Superfast 3 product I’m getting l, so I can’t see that there’s any difference with regular Ultrafast! I guess the difference must be in the back end technology. If the service is good, the branding isn’t so important I guess. 🙂
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 11

Go to solution

It seems to imply that they will only offer the Ultrafast guarantee if there is sufficientt capacity in the backhaul to provide the speed. This would appear to be at odds with the premise that guaranteed speeds always refer to sync speeds rather than download speeds!!!

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 9 of 11

Go to solution

Strange indeed. I can't see it being the speed guarantee as that is only 100Mb even for the 330Mb service.

To muddy the waters even further, Openreach no longer offer Superfast 3 & 4. The 100Mb speed guarantee is from Openreach to the ISP.

https://www.homeandbusiness.openreach.co.uk/fibre-broadband/superfast-broadband

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 11

Go to solution

A**e/elbow differentiation problem yet again!

0 Ratings