Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
NAROBS
Contributor
Message 1 of 98

Superfast Fibre 1 Essential

Go to solution

I've been on this service for the last 5 years - the original contract expired and  things have been allowed to run-on without a new contract being signed.   Details in my on-line account still refer to the 50GB data limit per month, so I presume that the terms of the original contract have just been allowed to run on past the end of the original contract end date.

Download speed on average used to be 45-50 Mbps, Upload 9-10Mps. Monthly download limit of 50 GB applies.

A BT Smart Hub 2 is plugged directly into the Openreach master socket (Separate phone and BB sockets - hence no microfilters employed) using cat 6 cable terminated with RJ-11 plugs.

About a week ago I noticed that the speed had decreased from the usual 50Mbps to 27Mbps download and upload  was down to about 4Mbps.

This followed a couple of evenings when at approximately 1 oclock in the morning the Broadband signal was lost for about 15 minutes on both occasions - yes I was up and about at this ungodly hour and witnessed the loss and restoration of signal. I thought this was just regular engineer activity, but then subsequently realised, the following day, that the Broadband speed was down. This was confirmed by BT's own speed test and BB speed checker and Ookla.

So , to me it looks like somebody has taken the line I was on and split the bandwidth.

As "Bodging" into roadside cabinets seems to be a popular pastime here, I wonder if somebody has put an illegal tap on the broadband line I was using.

From my point-of-view, I hadn't changed any of the equipment or software at my end which might have precipitated this effect. So its got to be either official action by BT/Openreach, and I haven't requested any change, or a hack.

Restarting the router didn't restore the higher (Original) values. Neither did doing a factory reset - this was done multiple times over a number of days.

I've even checked and cleaned (With electrical contact cleaner) all the lines and connectors from the SH 2 to the master socket. Still no joy.

So, as I'm still paying for the 50GB download service I stuck a complaint into BT.

No resolution as yet. Someone claiming to be BT customer services  keep on ringing me up when I'm out or indisposed, leaving a message on my answerphone, but no call back number -  that's even though I specified my preferred method of communication was e-Mail. So, looks like this is going to drag on.

Any ideas what goes on here ? 

Is it BT/Openreach engineers acting ? It occurred to me that this might be the case as a new small block of flats has just been completed on the cable run  in between my home and the roadside box.

Is it BT sales/marketing acting ? i.e. has  "Superfast Fibre 1 Essential" been removed as an active service from BT servers ?

Or is it an illegal tap ?

And how could I tell ?

0 Ratings
97 REPLIES 97
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 98

Re: Superfast Fibre 1 Essential

Go to solution

Post stats from your hub. Advanced settings then technical log information 

enter your phone number and post results remember delete number but leave exchange and cab

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/

Dial 17070 option 2 should be silent and best with corded phone 

the drop in connection can happen if your connection is unstable  manual resets only make matters worse and will not help get speed back

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
NAROBS
Contributor
Message 3 of 98

Go to solution

BT- Broadband -Availability_23102019.JPG

0 Ratings
NAROBS
Contributor
Message 4 of 98

Go to solution
17070, option 2 is crackle and hiss free.

If I connect another computer e.g. laptop wirelessly the BB speed is still down @ 27Mbps down and $Mbps up.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 98

Go to solution

Can you post hub stats. Advanced settings then technical log information NOT the logs

changing device will not improve/change the actual connection speed

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
NAROBS
Contributor
Message 6 of 98

Go to solution

BT - Broadband - Smart_Hub_2 -Technical_Info_23102019 - 23102019.JPG

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 98

Go to solution

Your connection time is only 48min was that due to hub dropping connection or manual reset

all the drops and resets have resulted in your connection being put in a banded profile by DLM to try and stabilise your line.  You need to try and maintain a stable connection before you get any improvement.   if connection keeps dropping then you need to connect to test socket and see if that will stabilise your connection. If not you need to phone 151 and get engineer visit

https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/FTTC-DLM-What-it-is-How-it-works/ba-p/1322799

0 Ratings
NAROBS
Contributor
Message 8 of 98

Go to solution

Yeah the last restart was down to me.

Strange the Openreach software should do this now because I have been in the habit of turning-off the power on all the BT hubs at night (Along with other electrical appliances) and have been doing so since the year dot and have never suffered loss of speed as a consequence.

Engineer visit without a line fault sounds expensive . . £130 ?

I understand, from this site, that since 2018, ISPs have the facility/capacity to do DLM resets themselves, remotely. Would that make an engineer visit  unnecessary ? Do they charge for a remote reset ?

Roll on 5G !

N.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 98

Go to solution

The best thing for your connection is stability.  Unless you can get a stable connection any DLM reset is pointless as your connection will just drop again. If you get engineer visit and problem is not in your home or no problem found then there will be no charge.  The charge was reduced to £85

customer services cannot do a DLM reset

0 Ratings
NAROBS
Contributor
Message 10 of 98

Go to solution

Ah Hah ! Money, money money,revenue, revenue, revenue and jacking it up at every conceivable opportunity. That's what it all about.

I've just seen another post on here which backs this up.

Apparently, the unlimited  download Fibre 1  Broadband package has  recently been, for marketing purposes, paired with the 50Mbps download rate.

Now, a little time ago,  BT were trying to flog that to me, as I'm on the earlier restricted download package 50Gb per month, 50Mbps download rate  (Superfast Fibre 1 Essential) the unlimited service "At no extra monthly cost" (Except there was an extra cost to be paid on the telephone package side in terms of elimination of the  free Evening and  weekend call facility that was included in my overall package). Naturally I didn't bite.

So,  BT couldn't have me sitting on the 50MBps with just unlimited,  and not paying any extra, so some  (No doubt much put upon ) BT Engineer must have been instructed to cap my download rate  so that the sales/marketing ledgers all squared-up.

Yet my billing still says I'm paying for 50Gbps. 

The Regulator will like that.

Oh well. Time for a  written communication with Mr Jansen.

0 Ratings