Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 91 of 98

Re: Superfast Fibre 1 Essential

Go to solution

https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/60150/10-facts-about-internets-undersea-cables

This article indicates that recently installed undersea internet cables, made with modern materials,  are lifed at 25years . . . a fair number of Openreach's copper cables may have been underwater for 70-100 years since installation.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 92 of 98

Go to solution

The phenomena of submarine cables being chewed is not new, at Porthcurno there are some exhibits of exactly that. I believe some of the circuits are still functional that come ashore there. I attended the Cable and Wireless telecommunications college there in the Mid 1980s. The college has gone now but there is plenty for geeks to see in the museum.  You might find this video interesting:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_nnUbX7uuQ&t=15s

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 93 of 98

Go to solution

While your discussion regarding under sea cables and sewage etc is no doubt interesting to some people, it is now way of topic and as the OP stated in message 87 that his problem appears to have been fixed can I suggest that you mark this thread as solved and if you wish to continue your riveting discussion about cables that you start a new thread in the "Lounge" board. 

I will happily move all the relevant posts on this thread to your new thread should you start one.

Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 94 of 98

Go to solution

No problem

I had wondered.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 95 of 98

Go to solution

The last thing I want to do is make the BT moderators unhappy.

I can clearly see that even the mildest form of wee-wee taking  of that formidable institution is subject to draconian reaction in the form of sub-editor "Blue-pencil"  editing of my posts . . . . .undoubtedly for the wider public good.

So I will desist and defer.

Let Normal service resume.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 96 of 98

Go to solution

@NAROBS wrote:

The last thing I want to do is make the BT moderators unhappy.

I can clearly see that even the mildest form of wee-wee taking  of that formidable institution is subject to draconian reaction in the form of sub-editor "Blue-pencil"  editing of my posts . . . . .undoubtedly for the wider public good.

So I will desist and defer.

Let Normal service resume.

For your information I am not a moderator.

The forum is primarily for BT customers to post about and help each other resolve problems, and it would appear that you have stated in the thread that your problem has been resolved.

If you had bothered to read the forum rules and look at the boards that are available you would have found that threads are to remain on topic in relation to the original problem and should not veer off topic, which this thread obviously has.

You would also have seen that there is a "Lounge" board where you can start a topic in virtually any lawful topic you wish and discuss it to your hearts content.  

And yes it is for the wider public good of this forum!

https://community.bt.com/t5/Announcements-Guides-Community/BT-Community-User-Guidelines/td-p/1375043

https://community.bt.com/t5/Announcements-Guides-Community/BT-Community-Terms-of-Use/td-p/1375035

Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 97 of 98

Go to solution

I previously commented that this had wandered way off-topic, if the OP wants to start a thread in the "lounge" or whatever maybe that is a better strategy. My own issue with my broadband is resolved (another thread) and this one is too apparently. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 98 of 98

Go to solution

I think I'd have to agree here guys. No harm done but we've moved away from the OPs issue so I'll lock this thread. Feel free to discuss cabling etc on the lounge.

Cheers

David