Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NAROBS
Contributor
Message 31 of 98

Re: Superfast Fibre 1 Essential

Go to solution

I understood   that a download rate on a FTTC line   of less than 90% of the line maximum rated capacity automatically generated an investigation, with no action from me -  and I' m getting only  40% of this .

What's more, this is an overarching  concern to OfCOM:-

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2017/01/bt-wholesale-broadband-checker-adds-downstream-handbac...

In pursuit of   its aim to progressively raise  the Minimum Guaranteed Access Line Speed (MGALS)  to each and every line in the UK, OFCOM , requires members of the Speed Code,  to which BT  will undoubtedly have signed up , to hand back lines that cannot be engineered  to reach the threshold. The download rate I'm  (getting (27-29 Mbps)  is only half the downstream download  handback threshold specified in the BT Broadband Availability checker - 51.5MBps to 56.3MBps.

And OFCOM confers the right on the customer to walk away from a service, cost-free, if the ISP can't provide such a line.

So, the responsibility is with BT to, at first instance, send out an engineer to investigate and report back.

In my case, they have been duly notified.

Surely, its not up to me to file a fault report, as the the onus of fault detection in these circumstances is on them,  courtesy of OFCOM, they should be continually vigilent of when a line dips below the threshold and act accordingly.

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2019/09/bt-to-propose-full-fibre-move-and-copper-switch-off-by...

I can fully understand that with the emergence of 5G and the stated disappearance of copper lines by 2027 that they might be reluctant to take swift action, especially if it involves digging-up the road or replacing defective copper or copper to fibre kit, but the choice is not theirs. They signed-up to OFCOMS speed code.

N

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 32 of 98

Go to solution

If you want it fixed, report the fault.

NAROBS
Contributor
Message 33 of 98

Go to solution

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2018/02/ability-reset-openreach-fttc-broadband-dlm-profiles-ar...

This article states that with effect from 19/02/2018, ISPs can do a reset themselves, without having to call out an engineer. 

If the restrictions imposed by the DLM were triggered by a transient event e.g. a local surge on the  telephone lines caused by local electrical storms or say builders on a nearby development using equipment that generated EMI and there was no underlying fault in the telecom system, as I suspect in my case, then, surely DLM reset by ISP is the first option, and if that fails to restore performance, that's when the user should put in an engineer request ?

N

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 34 of 98

Go to solution

Your connection still appears unstable and DLM reset will not solve that problem even if BT decided to request  a reset  ISPs cannot reset DLM but submit request to openreach

You need to get engineer visit to fix your line and get engineer to request reset after line problem solved

You are just delaying getting speed improved by not getting engineer

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 35 of 98

Go to solution

If there is no underlying fault DLM will automatically restore your speed and doesn't require a reset. If there is an underlying fault then it won't until the fault is cleared.

If an MCB kept tripping on your consumer unit you wouldn't just keep resetting it you would get an electrician to investigate the fault.

NAROBS
Contributor
Message 36 of 98

Go to solution

OK. 

Perhaps on further thing I want to establish before calling in the engineer and that is whether the  in-house telephone connection/network  i.e. downstream of the master socket, is causing a problem.

Apart from the BT hub the only other thing connected to the master socket is a telephone line which connects with a  DECT radio adapter  (RTX brand) via Cat 6 cable. The DECT adapter connects by radio with an extension adapter upstairs which itself is connected to a BT Decor phone. A hard-wired  output port ((BT relephone wire) on the downstairs DECT unit connects to another BT Decor phone.

I wonder whether the DECT units are causing the problem, particularly if they are in failure mode - that said I've had no trouble with them for the last 6 years.

When running the HH5 yesterday with my desktop running the HH5A router stats app this is what I got with the DECTs plugged-in and then removed:-

Utilities -BT - Broadband - HH5A_Router_Stats_app - Max_Data_Rate_26102019 -27102029.JPGUtilities -BT - Broadband - HH5A_Router_Stats_app -Connection_Speed_26102019 -27102029.JPGUtilities -BT - Broadband - HH5A_Router_Stats_app -Line_Attentuation_26102019 -27102029.JPGUtilities -BT - Broadband - HH5A_Router_Stats_app -Noise_Margin_26102019 -27102029.JPG

The effect of the DECTs when deployed doesn't look that bad to me.

N

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 37 of 98

Go to solution

doesn't look like it's the phones but only way to be sure is to connect to test socket with a filter and see if your line stays stable over a period  if still have connection problems and there are no extension sockets then problem outside and need engineer

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
NAROBS
Contributor
Message 38 of 98

Go to solution

Sounds good. That's what I'll do.

Cheers.

0 Ratings
NAROBS
Contributor
Message 39 of 98

Go to solution

The following image captures show the effects of plugging the Broadband connection from the Home Hub 5A :-

1) Firstly into the test socket on the BT Master Wall Socket via  a stand alone  broadband filter

2).Then into the re-instated standard  faceplate on the Master Socket and,

3). Finally  re-plugging the telephone connection into  re-instated faceplate on the master socket.

(Home Hub and computer re-booted between each instance, and Router Stats app stopped  before and  resumed after each re-boot).

Utilities -BT -Broadband - RouterStatsHub5A - Connection_Speed - Test_socket-Faceplate_Reinstated-Phone_Reinstated_late_PM_27102019 -27102019.JPGUtilities -BT -Broadband - RouterStatsHub5A - Information_for_Help_Desk_Managers - Faceplate _and_Phone_Reinstated_late_PM_27102019 -27102019.JPGUtilities -BT -Broadband - RouterStatsHub5A - Line_Attentuation - Test_socket-Faceplate_Reinstated - Phone_Reinstated_late_PM_27102019 -27102019.JPGUtilities -BT -Broadband - RouterStatsHub5A - Max_Data_rate - Test_socket-Faceplate_Reinstated - Phone_Reinstated_late_PM_27102019 -27102019.JPGUtilities -BT -Broadband - RouterStatsHub5A - Noise_margin - Test_socket-Faceplate_Reinstated - Phone_Reinstated_late_PM_27102019 -27102019.JPG

So, Connection speed constant, irrespective of whether the HH5 was plugged into the test socket or the master socket faceplate.

Line attentuation drops when the HH5 is plugged into the master socket faceplate - don't understand why that should happen

Max data rate increases substantially when the HH5 is plugged into the master socket faceplate.

Noise increases substantially when the HH5 is plugged into the master socket  faceplate - does this indicate that the broadband micro filter in the faceplate is defective ? (It is 8 years old now)

Also of concern is the ragged downstream  noise signal (Very peaky and troughy)  when the HH5 was plugged into the Test Socket.

N

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 40 of 98

Go to solution

I thought the idea was to connect to test socket with filter to see if that improves the connection stability and make sure the problem was outside your home before getting engineer visit

as you are probably in banded profile not surprising connection speed remained constant

0 Ratings