Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NAROBS
Contributor
Message 41 of 98

Re: Superfast Fibre 1 Essential

Go to solution

Err . . didn't I make it plain, the first part of the overall test was set-up with the  cat 6 wire  from the HH5  plugged into an old broadband filter which in turn was plugged into the test socket (431 jack) on the  master  wall socket. 

Harrow-20191027-00830 (2).jpg

And this appeared to produce an exceptionally low, if very ragged, noise reading during the first part of the test (Left hand side of trace) ?

Middle of the trace was when the master socket faceplate was re-fixed to the Master Socket and the HH5 plugged into the broadband socket in the upper part of the face plate and the last part of the trace (RHS) shows the period when the telephone wire was connected to the connector on the lower part of the master socket faceplate.

Harrow-20191027-00831 (2).jpg

Given this is the fashion within BT now:-

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2016/08/bt-openreach-moot-replacement-uk-master-sockets-nte5c....

I  suppose it would be easier to cut-out the middleman and just fit one of these :-

2019 BT Openreach Telephone Master Socket NTE5c MK2 & VDSL/ADSL Faceplate MK4

And then get the ISP (BT) to instruct Openreach to reset the connection.

0 Ratings
NAROBS
Contributor
Message 42 of 98

Go to solution

Ok, its an ADSL filter, but ADSL frequency band lives well within the massive frequency range of VDSL.

N

0 Ratings
NAROBS
Contributor
Message 43 of 98

Go to solution

And if a VDSL system can still produce the same throughput even whilst operating within that very narrow ADSL frequency band  . . . . . . food for thought.

Or isn't it as simple as that ?

N

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 44 of 98

Go to solution

Did you remove the middle section of the master socket as the test socket is behind than and not as you see when removing the front plate only

Filters are filters so old adsl filter is ok provided it works

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
NAROBS
Contributor
Message 45 of 98

Go to solution

Yes, I removed the middle section and popped the ADSL BT Jack in there. In fact, I'm running the system (Smart Hub 2) this way, now, whilst  writing this post :-

Harrow-20191028-00833 (2).jpg

I amazed  that the ADSL filters can pass a VDSL signal, if that's what's happening, given the difference in size of bandwidths - 13Mhz for VDSL, as against 1Mhz for ADSL.

HH5 worked in this way.

HH5 won't  make a connection when plugged into  the test socket when the middle section of the master socket is in place !!!!! Just bats back and forth between the orange and purple lights. SH2 will work when connected in this way.

But when I've used the ADSL filter in then test socket, BT Wholesale speedtest won't give an upload speed and won't progress to the second stage of the test - the diagnostics. Yet, the public domain Broadband speed checker does give an upload value.

I've yet to try the ADSL filter inserted  in the test socket when the middle section of the master socket is installed,I - presume that would create an electrical  conflict.

With ADSL inserted in the test socket, I'm getting 23mbps down and 3 and a bit mbps up, so slightly less than what I'm getting with a proper connection with the faceplate in place.

Whilst the restricted service I'm currently getting ( A reported 27-29Mbps down) is adequate for the sort of stuff I do, not being a 2K or 4k streamer, I still call the engineer out, if this condition persists, and the on-line diagnostics system keep reporting a fault, which it has 'til now, then I'll put a call in for the engineer to attend.

N

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 46 of 98

Go to solution

@NAROBS 

Microfilters only filter out the phone outlet, that is their purpose, to stop the broadband signal getting into the phone.

Broadband signals are not processed at all, they pass straight through from the input to the output, so it does not matter whether its an ADSL filter or a VDSL filter (if such a thing exists).

0 Ratings
NAROBS
Contributor
Message 47 of 98

Go to solution

Still on 25Mbps down, after leaving the SM2 on for 24 hour continuous

So, either there's an unfixed fault or somebody's manually capped the line. But the BT on-line fault diagnosis software maintains that the landline is OK and quiet line test is still quiet . . . conclusion manual intervention. Certainly as the metallic path is OK, no need to call a line  engineer i.e. BT

The BT on-line fault diagnosis software then goes onto state that there is a Broadband fault between the Hub and the network and  to call an engineer - so, my conclusion an OpenReach engineer is required . . for work on the  mini DSLAM in the street cabinet and the network beyond.

How do I task an Openreach engineer through a BT system ? . . . Don't tell me . . I put in a request for a BT Engineer who attends and says its nothing to do with him its an OpenReach problem - and I thought France had problems with public service bureacracies.

As of this evening, no replacement hub has arrived or is appearing in the "Order tracking" of my  BT on-line account - conclusion . . . last Fridays  "Chat-line" staff were spinning one.

On the otherside of things, went on the "Chat-line" again yesterday asking where the replacement hub was - so, without me requesting it, they raised another complaint  and, admitted they were unable to help me further because of "Policy" issues and tried to bat me off to some other team (The "Value " team - I can guess who to !). On technical issues they are about as useful as a marshmallow fireguard and really just act like an adjunct to the marketing department - providing you have a translator available - to be kind, the written English on the Chat-line won't set the bard's beard on-fire !

As I've got a data rate that's sufficient for my needs (Even though its  sub MGALS standard  and only now half  of what I used to get before 18th October and less than half the average of that everybody else in my locality is getting)  I'm just going to let this one stew, an see what else pops out of the woodwork.

With my pensioner finances  and health issues as they are at the moment, I haven't got the time, inclination  or the money to frigg around with BT over what may be just sheer  global incompetence  on multiple fronts - the NTE5C Mk4 introduction, basic  engagement policy with OpenReach or, possibly,  street cabinet security.

I think, somewhere in London, there ought to be a memorial, similar to the Bomber Command one, recording the demise of  real Customer Service circa circa the mid-1970s  and its submersion by corporate greed and, then another memorial, not too far away, recording the rise of the "Do-it-yourself" sticking plaster society, at probably the same time. Give Angela Merkel something to laugh-about during any post-Brexit visits.

N.

0 Ratings
garybs29
Contributor
Message 48 of 98

Go to solution

It really won't be that difficult to report the fault & get it fixed. The engineer that comes out will be an openreach one. If as you sy tests are pointing towards a network issue all BT will do is pass it straight to openreach

0 Ratings
NAROBS
Contributor
Message 49 of 98

Go to solution

You've got personal experience of this being a seamless process between BT and Openreach ?

'Cause most the posts I've read on-line point to wonderful areas where responsibility is disputed between BT and OR - the classic being who's reasonable for the wall socket.

Nah ! Let 'em stew. The engineer can wait for his Xmas box - who ever's paying.  I've got more pressing things to do than this rubbish.

Over the last week, I've tested the  part of the link in my house for which I'm responsible i.e.  between the hub and socket, I used different hubs e.g. HH3, HH5 and SH2, different cabling e.g. two-wire telephone cable or Cat 6 cable and found that it makes no difference what so ever to  throughput or noise level what link system and hub is used.

The only difference occurred when the test socket was used and the noise level went down substantially.  Suggestive  of the fact that there may be a fault in one of the components in the faceplate. But if they think I'm having one of those god awful NTE5C Mk4's rammed on the wall (As a matter of policy of course) they've got another think coming:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkFMfB-DYmQ&t=163s

Like the wonderful (And useless) Mk 1 electricity smart meters, I 'll wait for the re-design.

N

0 Ratings
garybs29
Contributor
Message 50 of 98

Go to solution

Yes i do. Of course most of what you sse online is bad experiences as people never usually report good ones.

This will be my last respobse anyway as you seem intent on ignoring how to actually go about fixing the issue