cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Clanger
Beginner
Message 1 of 15

Superfast Fibre 1 Unlimited just gone active, what speeds should I expect?

Go to solution

Hello, as per title I'm getting 33.5 Mb/s currently but that should rise, yes? Quoted average speeds are ~50Mb/s for this service? I've heard theres a 10 day training period so hopefully this should raise? Its twice the speed I had previously for ADSL2/LLU which is ok but hardly sparkling.

Noise margin is quite high with low attenuation so I believe theres room for improvement so any guesses what sort of speeds I can expect when the line settles? Is there any way of adjusting SnR with SmartHub or am I going to have to buy a "proper" router?

Thanks

BT router stats.PNG

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 15

Re: Superfast Fibre 1 Unlimited just gone active, what speeds should I expect?

Go to solution

In order to find out what services and speed range you should be getting, please enter your phone number into this form.
Broadband availability checker

Please remember to edit out your phone number before you post the results.

You cannot override any settings that would alter the SNR.

Avoid touching the connection while its determining the optimum rate.

0 Ratings
Clanger
Beginner
Message 3 of 15

Go to solution

Its not saying much lol

tempsnip.png

0 Ratings
NeilO
Message 4 of 15

Go to solution

Hi @Clanger welcome to the community and thanks for posting, I see the maximum data rate on your router stats is 45.3Mb so there is potential for a small improvement in your sync speed. When was the line connected as the results you got from the checker suggest it hasn't been updated with your number yet?

0 Ratings
Clanger
Beginner
Message 5 of 15

Go to solution

Hi Neil the line was connected today afaik. It was a Sky line previously with Sky LLU though obviously Openreach owned. That checker is actually an improvement a week or two ago it simply stated it had no information for the line at all i.e. unrecognised number, odd really since its not a virgin cable phone etc

Cheers

0 Ratings
NeilO
Message 6 of 15

Go to solution

Hi @Clanger, that explains those results as the checker will take a day or two to update after the line is connected. It's normal for LLU line details not to show on the checker as it's provided by BT Wholesale who wouldn't have had access to your line information previously

The advertised average speed you've quoted applies to our whole customer base but this doesn't necessarily mean your line will perform at that rate. When you placed your order you should have been given a speed quote for your line along with a minimum guaranteed speed, can you recall what that was?

0 Ratings
Clanger
Beginner
Message 7 of 15

Go to solution

Hi Neil, ah didn't know that about BT wholesale, thanks

The "estimated download speed" according to an email I received when I signed up is 29-36 Mbps with an upload speed of 5-7 Mbps. The download speed currently is at the upper end of that but the upload speed is actually 9.2 Mbps currently which leads me to believe download is capped currently as uploads are not usually i.e. theres  spare capacity available hence the OP.  (The "Stay Fast" guarantee is 25 Mbps, obviously much less)

cheers

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 15

Go to solution

You just need to maintain your connection with no manual resets and see if DLM gives a bit more speed nearer attainable. A noise margin of 6db is normal

which exchange are you on as you deleted from checker?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
NeilO
Message 9 of 15

Go to solution

@Clanger No problem at all, those router stat results look bang on based on the point of sale speed quotes but I agree with @imjolly give DLM a chance to figure out the optimum speed for your line and if any improvement can be made it will change automatically.

0 Ratings
Clanger
Beginner
Message 10 of 15

Go to solution

Will do, but if thats all it'll achieve I may as well go for a cheaper (and slower by default) package and save myself a wedge of cash. But we'll see what the DLM comes up with.

0 Ratings