cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PeteB
Contributor
Message 1 of 10

Superfast Fibre 1 Unlimited vs Fibre 1

I am mid-contract with BT and have been on Superfast Fibre 1 Unlimited. I've generally been very happy receiving speeds of around 72/17 and my PC is connected via a LAN cable rather than WiFi. In March I had issues with WiFi to other devices and on contacting BT, the agent did a few tests but decided to send me a replacement Smart Hub 6 incase the 'changes' didn't resolve the problem.

The replacement hub never arrived and so I contacted BT again. I spoke to a different agent who informed me the order hadn't gone through and she arranged for another to be sent. This did arrive but hasn't yet been used at this time.

Fast forward a couple of weeks. I've noticed the speed internet pages load on my PC (wired connection to the Smart Hub 6) has been a bit intermittent - sometimes taking up to 10 seconds before loading. I'd assumed this was probably due to increased loading on the networks with people working from home etc and assumed things would get back to normal in due course.

However, today I've received my April BT bill and have noticed 2 things. Firstly, it says my services have changed and secondly there's a charge for changing them. On closer inspection, my broadband service has changed from 'Superfast Fibre 1 Unlimited' to 'Fibre 1' and the £9.99 charge is for 'connecting my new service'.

I never asked for nor consented to any changes to my services and from reading BT sales material, I believe Fibre 1 is a slower speed (52/9) version of my previous product (76/19). Can somebody confirm whether I am correct please and if so, how do I get BT to restore my service? Thank you.  

My previous experience of when things go wrong with BT has been nightmareish and I don't want to go through months of pain again.  

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Superfast Fibre 1 Unlimited vs Fibre 1

Superfast fibre 1  is a 55/10mb connection package but were you one of the customers who had 55/10 and got a free upgrade to 80/20mb?

has your speed changed?

the £9.99 is usually the postage charge for a new hub

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
PeteB
Contributor
Message 3 of 10

Hi imjolly, thanks for your reply. As I said, I've noticed a reduced speed in the past few weeks - which coincides with being sent a new Smart Hub 6. Since that isn't being used yet, I'd assumed it was loading on the networks. Irrespective of this, my April bill says my broadband service has changed to Fibre 1 and I've been charged for this change. I can see no good reason for doing this.

I've tried using the btwholesale speedchecker but that is giving nonsense results, ie far slower than I believe I'm actually getting.

I'd like my product restoring to what it was as that will be my basis for negotiation when my contract comes up for renewal later this year.  

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

Can you post your hub stats as hh5 then troubleshooting then helpdesk 

as I said superfast fibre 1 is a 55/10mb connection as is fibre 1. However many customers got a free upgrade to 80/20 while remaining on fibre 1 cost. Were you one of these customers?

did you get an email about your package changes?  Did you check to see what had changed?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Matt-S
Moderator-Retired
Message 5 of 10

Hi @PeteB,

Welcome back to the Community and thanks for taking the time to post.

I'm sorry you are unhappy with a charge on your bill and your broadband speeds.

If you last re-contracted or changed your broadband package between 11 January 2019 and 16 January 2020 the CPI price increase would have been applied on 31 March. Can you check page 3 of your bill and let us know if it says anything along the lines of "our prices changed?"

I think @imjolly is correct and that the £9.99 charge is the postage charge for the new hub. It will be labelled as" BT Broadband one-off charges" on your bill and not postage and packaging.

As mentioned if you are on Fibre 1 you should be getting speeds of 55/10 unless we provided you with a free of charge speed boost to 80/20?

Can you post your hub stats?

Thanks

Matt

PeteB
Contributor
Message 6 of 10

Hi imjolly,

Yes, I did get the speed upgrade a few years back when my package was Infinity. This has remained in place (at last contract renewal) when my product changed name to Superfast fibre one unlimited. 

The only email I received from BT following my conversation in March about my Wifi was a confirmation that my equipment was on its way. There was no other information on this. 

Sorry I don't understand your comment about posting hub stats as hh5 - I have a Smart Hub 6? I'll try the btwholesale speedtest again when I get home.

0 Ratings
PeteB
Contributor
Message 7 of 10

Hi Matt,

Thanks for your reply. I'm not 'unhappy' as it were - more baffled by what is going on. I'm happy to pay the carriage for a replacement router. But why list this charge on my bill as 'connecting new services'? And why tell me 'Your services have changed' when I haven't asked or agreed to it? I can see this will cause no end of confusion when at contract renewal negotiations later this year I try to explain that I was actually on an 80/20 product and the agent insists I was on a 50/10 one.

The 'hub stats' link you posted doesn't ultimately take you to the btwholesale speed tester - it takes you to another tester which only shows a download speed. Using that, my reported speed is great. But this isn't about my 'speed' - it's about the confusion caused with the changes shown on my bill. And since BT keep sending emails trying to upgrade me to BT Halo (at a much larger monthly cost) I'm somewhat wary of what's gone on. 

0 Ratings
Matt-S
Moderator-Retired
Message 8 of 10

@PeteB

Thanks for letting us know that the incorrect wording has been used on the bill, I will get this flagged so that we can get this corrected.

With regards to the free of charge speed boost, we see it quite often that when a customer re-grades their service and takes Fibre 1 and new discount the speeds drop back to 55/10. This is our system working as designed when we provided customers with the free speed boost we never advised that this boost was forever. 

When you come round to renewing your package if you let the retention team know you are getting a speed boost to 80/20 they will be able to check the best price they can offer you to continue to get these speeds.

Thanks

Matt

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 10

if you are now using HH6 then post stats - advanced settings then technical log information

0 Ratings
PeteB
Contributor
Message 10 of 10

...but I haven't regraded my service and taken Fibre 1 - I haven't actually done anything other than request help with my Wifi. It's BT who seem to have changed my service. I'm going to have to give them a call to get this sorted out I think. Thanks for everyone's help.

0 Ratings