cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sub101uk
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 7

Superfast Fibre 2 Unlimited Getting slower and slower now down to 23 Mps

I have had Superfast Fibre 2 Unlimited for a few years now before I had ADSL Home High way when it was first installed it was 29 Mps then 3 months ago it dropped to 25 and now its down to a max of 20 - 23 Mps .

I contacted BT and they also confirmed that its been getting slower over the past few months so they sent over a engineer who checked the line and confirmed that the speed is now a max of 23 Mps however he did confirm that the line did meet the line spec of Superfast Fibre 2 so he could do nothing and that I should contact BT Billing to change my billing since at the moment I am paying £60.99 a month for Unlimited Weekend calls , Superfast Fibre 2 + line RetalPlus which was well over the top for the services that I was getting . I was wondering if any other members of this forum are having the same problem , I fully understand that speeds do go up + down due to location but how low is the speed going to go before some thing is done because this is getting silly when you think the speed of a good ADSL line are up to about 24Mps which is going to be the same as the Superfast Fibre 2 that I am getting right now .

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Sage
Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Superfast Fibre 2 Unlimited Getting slower and slower now down to 23 Mps

To find out what your line is capable of enter your phone number HERE and post the result, remove your phone number
before posting but leave exchange & cab info.

Could you also post the hub connection stats from Advanced settings/technical log/information.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 7

when was last time you renewed your contract as cost appears and suggest standard pricing with no discounts

depending on the information you post following @pippincp instructions it would probably be good idea to phone options team 0800800030 and negotiate a new deal and price reduction - and switch to superfast 1 as you cannot appear to get superfast 2 speeds

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
pompey1898
Expert
Message 4 of 7

Hi @sub101uk ,

Could possibly be crosstalk, see here for information :-

http://www.increasebroadbandspeed.co.uk/2014/vectoring-crosstalk-crisis

0 Ratings
iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 7

If your line never exceeded 29Mb , then Infinity 2 ( or Superfast 2 ) seems a little pointless given that Superfast 1 is up to 55Mb ( unless the improved upload is important to you )
Sync speed can reduce due to cross talk, it’s possible that if you were an early adopter of the service then as more people take up the service, perhaps the ‘crosstalk’ from adjacent lines to yours, have caused a reduction in your line speed.
0 Ratings
sub101uk
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 7

Many thanks guys for all your replys , Well today I spoke with there faults department and they confirmed that the max speed I could get was only 23 mps they then asked would I like a better speed and I asked Yes so they put me through to Upgrades they also confirmed the max I could get was again 23Mps , I asked Why since the speed was 29 then it dropped to 25 and now 20-23 . There guy told me the reason why the speed had dropped was because the cabinet was full due to oversubscription in my area the only way to get a higher speed was to install a second road side cabinet .

Regarding my contract that finished many years ago so I could end at any time they did say was I to sign up for a new 18 month contract my cost would drop to £40 a month from £60 . Looking at other ISPs in my area and its clear that 23 is going to be the best I am going to get . Even thought about a ISP via satellite I am just fed up with watching programs then it starts to buffer .

0 Ratings
sub101uk
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 7

Well good news it would see that someone must have been reading my mail as the speed back up today to 28Mps  so its better than 20-23 lets hope it stays there .

Cheers

0 Ratings