cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JohnBateson
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 10

Superfast Fibre 2 Unlimited - expected speeds

I recently updated my contract and am now on (allegedly) on a more reliable service, which should be good and get rid of the multiple drop-outs and funny low speed interludes I was getting. So far so good, these issues seems to have gone away.

However, I am curious. I am in the habit of regularly checking my speed after a change in contract and should get 56-73 MB/s with a guaranteed bottom of 52 MB/s at which I get a refund!

The BT speed check is impossible to find, the log in page keeps recycling. I find that on one tab I need to log into MYBT, on a second tab I can search for BT Speed Test and eventually if gives me a constant download speed of 54.7 MB/s every single time I test it. This is peculiar. I do not get any upload speed. I have tried different browsers. The report function shown at the bottome of the page does nothing at all.

Cross checking with speedtest.net I get similar speeds, albeit very marginally slower by about 2%, but they are all slightly different, including one that was well below the 52 MB/s bottom.

Is there an issue here with the BT speed checker and/or the noted download speeds?

Perhaps I should get a differnet hobby?

John Bateson

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Sage
Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Superfast Fibre 2 Unlimited - expected speeds

Besides getting a different hobby have you used THIS BT speed test?

It is also worthy to note that the guaranteed speed refers to sync speed not throughput. Different devices require different overheads so always check your sync speed reported by the hub.

0 Ratings
JohnBateson
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 10

Sync speeds are 61.31 down and 20.00 up

I have tested the speeds using several means

a) btwholesale.com - 48.72 and 13.2

b) btwholesale.com additional chaecks - 48.48 and 13.12

c) Speedtest.net - 52.78 and 18.52

d) support.bt.com - 54.7 - which is the constant speed stated in my original post

e) thinkbroadband.com - 46.9 and 19.0 then 43.0 and 18.7 - these tests give burst figures which are still less than the range expected

None of these tested speeds is within the range expected - 56MB/s to 74MB/s

John

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

As @pippincp  posted, the quoted figures are for SYNC speed not download speeds as measured by a speedtester. You need to check the speed reported by your hub.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 10

if you have a connection speed of 61mb shown in router stats then you are within your expected 74/56mb connection speed although at bottom end

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
JohnBateson
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 10

The speed reported by the hub is 54.7 as per the constant speed reported  by the BT tester on screen showing a picture of the exchange and hub with the figure 54.7 between them - I can only assume this is a correct BT statement.

John

0 Ratings
JohnBateson
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 10

The sync speed is 61 but the BT speed checker reports 54.7 MB/s.

BT are selling download speeds - it needs some tech savvy to check sync speeds which do not feature in their literature or offer.

Puzzled still I am.

John

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 10

I agree the use of 'download speed' can be misleading but it is explained in the T&C and it actually means down connection speed not down throughput speed.  So the speed quoted refer to connection speeds as shown in the router/hub stats

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
JohnBateson
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 10

I agree that there is some confusion - however, the OFCOM guidelines as amended March 2019 clearly differentiate between sync and download speeds. I quote the extracts below - which are slightly different from the previous guidelines.

A4.1 Access line speed or sync speed – This refers to the speed of the data connection between the broadband modem and the local exchange or cable head end. This constitutes the maximum speed a customer will be able to experience on his/her individual line.

A4.9 Download speed – Also downlink or downstream speed. Rate of data transmission to a customer’s connection from a network operator’s access node, typically measured in Mbits/s.

All the literature in the sales and order emails use A4.9 and all the variety of measurements mechanisms including the two main ones from BT use A4.9 as their test process. None of them measure syncronisation speed.

In all but a perfect transmission environment the download speed will always be lower then the sync speed and this is accepted. But if BT sell me a package with figures derived from A4.9 and then use A4.1 to excuse any fall below the offered minimum then, given that they do not offer a tool so that the average consumer can easily check both without have to delve into 192.168 codes, is perhaps unacceptable.

I should add that the speeds I am getting are quite acceptable - it is just the small print not delivering the expected changes in the new contract that has annoyed me. Its a bit like buying a dozen red roses on 14 February and then finding one of them has a broken flower head, disappointing!

John

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 10

there is no ISP that guarantees download speed as it is susceptible to problems interference from home/surrounding conditions. In addition to allow for line overheads your download speed will not normally exceed your ip profile

0 Ratings