Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
philrm77
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 6

Superfast Fibre 2 available with other providers, not with BT

Hi

I'm currently looking at the possibility of returning to BT after a year with Virgin Media but I had a question regarding the broadband speeds that are showing as available to me.

When I perform a check on the BT site using my postcode, the top option I am offered is Superfast Fibre at 45-50Mb.

When I check other providers who I assume use the same lines (Plusnet, Vodafone, EE) I am available to choose the next level up - the equivalent of BT's Superfast Fibre 2 at 67Mb.

When I use the BT Wholesale availability checker, it shows me that a downstream rate of 69.3 is available and when I was previously with BT I had Suberfast Fibre 2.

I'm wondering if this is normal, or if BT's website is giving me incorrect information? 

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Superfast Fibre 2 available with other providers, not with BT

your address will give more accurate information than post code as phone number does not work   https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

post results

all ISPs should be able to provide same speed as BT assuming they sell the product

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
philrm77
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 6

Thanks for the response. Yes I thought the same thing, that all ISPs should offer the same speeds. The address checker on the link you provided shows the available speed ad 69.3Mb.

broadband_check.JPG

So I am wondering why all of the other ISPs are offering this, but it is not showing as available to me when I try to order on the BT site?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

As you can see from the dslchecker results your Estimated speed range is 71/49mb and you could be anywhere in that range and only after connection will you be able to tell where.  The minimum handback speed is 44mb

the 67mb which appears in adverts is the average speed for superfast 2 but your speed cannot be known until connection

as all ISPs use the same openreach connection the speed should be same whichever you choose

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
philrm77
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 6

Thanks again for your response.

The thing that's confusing me is that BT is only offering me standard Superfast 50mb package, while I understand that Superfast 2 with 67Mb is a separate package at a higher price.

If I'm paying the lower price for the standard Superfast then I assume my speed will be capped at 50, and I won't be able to go any higher even if my line is capable, is this correct?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6

Yes,it will be capped at 55M (not 50M).

There have been a few posts on the forum like this, BT seem to be very pessimistic when it comes to estimating possible speed and seem not to let the customer take the chance that it will be higher and order SF2 whereas other ISPs seem to take an optimistic view of potential speeds. Not sure what the answer is.

0 Ratings