cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
waspcoffee
Beginner
Message 1 of 42

Superfast Fibre 2 downgraded to Fibre 2

This month BT have downgraded my Superfast Fibre 2 to Fibre 2 and reduced the Stay Fast Guarantee from 47 to 42.

I'm sure they did this now with COVID 19 as a smoke screen.

Have you checked yours?

0 Ratings
41 REPLIES 41
garybs29
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 42

Re: Superfast Fibre 2 downgraded to Fibre 2

Superfast fibre 2 & fibre 2 are the same thing, just a rename. The speeed thing will be part of the voluntary code of practice that BT amongst others have chosen to follow where part of the code is to give accurate peak time speed info so no, not using covid-19 as a smokescreen

imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 42

it is just the same with the same potential speed 80/20mb depending on your line and distance from street cabinet. The revised figures are probably based on more recent data from the connections roundabout you. Your connection will just be the same as it currently is.  Were you renewing you package?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
mszune
Contributor
Message 4 of 42

I have only just come across this thread having realised over the last couple of weeks my broadband speed is significantly different to what we used to recieve.

Something definitely doesn't add up as we have received 73mb downloads for years as we one of the first in our area to receive superfast fibre 2 with guaranteed dowloads of 73mb.

Now all of a sudden the option to upgade my broadband only offers speeds of 44mb to 49mb, but yet if I am new customer they guarantee speeds between 72mb to 73mb.

Have BT purely reduced my speed as I have not renewed or upgraded my contract? it all seems a little fishy to me for which I will be calling them in the morning.

0 Ratings
pippincp
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 42

@mszune  The upgrade option doesn't apply to you as you are already on fibre 2.

0 Ratings
nicmcckip
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 42

@waspcoffee @mszune 

Check your what your speed ranges  / what your IP is set to here:

https://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

I check your data rate in  your hub manager technical log.

Also check your details here:

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

I've been have issues with this ( although other things have complicated mine).

I re contracted last week and after being on unlimited infinity with for years. I was given a much slower speed than before.

My  new Speed ranges was made MUCH worse by a fault which started a couple of months ago (which, fingers crossed was fixed yesterday). Although It took days of being told nothing could be done, before finally getting someone in faults who could see the over 7 years of good speeds then a drop. I thought the fault was due to covid / nearly 8 year old hub.

He could also see that I was on much higher line (it had previously been set at about 7MB under the max on the ADSL checker. BT offered a guarantee of half of that - although my recent issue,(which was nothing to do with my hub or on my side of the box so to speak) had a huge impact on this.

My advice would be: check your speeds and get any faults fixed before upgrading.

No I don't know what's true or not as I've been told so many conflicting things this last weeks and things that I know are not true and some of the staff though nice lacked the experience or authority to do much.

I was told that BT didn't cap, that your hub will go as fast as it can - but, my line was capped at the IP profile on the BT Wholesale speed tester (which was the same as my new Max Speed - it even said my confirmation email, in small print the max I would get - despite being told I may get a bit better)

Many at BT also says its what open reach has told them, they can't do anything about it.

Some of the reasons I've been told for the lower speeds are  "because BT measures it differently  now"  because of Covid",  "because some of the copper  (and\ or cables ?) are aging so nothing can be done until you can get FTTP". 

mszune
Contributor
Message 7 of 42

To be clear then as my package is due for an upgrade as a BT customer for quite some time; the only upgrade speeds I will be offered is between 45mb - 49mb, but yet if I'm a new customer they will offer me speeds of 71mb-73mb.

Total nonsense if you ask me, by the way it has nothing to do with my landline as I've achieved speeds of 75-76mb as I live only 100yards from the BT exchange and this was done using a Draytek Vigor 130 modem and Asus AC5300 router.

Time to look elsewhere by the looks of it and totally disappointed with BT.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 42

@mszune 

please can you post the stats from your router (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser) and if  HH5 then go to troubleshooting then helpdesk and if HH6/SH2 then advanced settings then technical log information .

enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number   https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

This will show the expected speed range and what is available whether you are a new or existing customer

FTTC is based on distance from the street cabinet so it is immaterial where the actual exchange is sited

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 42

@mszune wrote:

To be clear then as my package is due for an upgrade as a BT customer for quite some time; the only upgrade speeds I will be offered is between 45mb - 49mb, but yet if I'm a new customer they will offer me speeds of 71mb-73mb.

Total nonsense if you ask me, by the way it has nothing to do with my landline as I've achieved speeds of 75-76mb as I live only 100yards from the BT exchange and this was done using a Draytek Vigor 130 modem and Asus AC5300 router.

Time to look elsewhere by the looks of it and totally disappointed with BT.

The speeds you will get are determined by the laws of physics which apply to all providers. Your distance from the exchange is immaterial, it is the distance from the cabinet that determines your speed.

0 Ratings
mszune
Contributor
Message 10 of 42

bt speed.jpg

0 Ratings