Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 12

Superfast Fibre Halo 1 line restricted to 31mbps DL and line drops

Hi,

Our exchange enabled VDSL almost exactly a year ago and have only ever received around 30-35mbps DL and about 13mbps UL rates and the line was stable using an Echolife HG612 modem with an ASUS RT-N66U router as it gave a better connection compared to the BT Hub 6A.

About a month ago I switched back to the BT Hub 6A to see if the line profile would improve to increase the bandwidth but there has been no change, in fact, there have been more line drops (a couple a week) and the throughput has gone down very slighty. Today, however, there has been 5 line drops so far (3pm). 

I have run the Troubleshooter diagnostics procedure on the BT.com site and it states that there is an issue on the line somewhere after doing all the socket/test socket tests and to contact BT to investigate and potentially arrange an engineer visit... I thought I'd post about the issue here first as I have always received the best support through the Community Forum.

Here are all the stats I could gather from the various pages I could think about.

Untitled-1.pngUntitled-2.pngUntitled-3.png

The exhange is only a couple of hundred meters from the house so I would have expected that the line rates would be much better, going off the DSLChecker rates, and that the line would be much more stable.

Can anybody help with this issue?

Thanks in advance. 😄

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Superfast Fibre Halo 1 line restricted to 31mbps DL and line drops

Your line has been banded by DLM because of instability, until you get the line fixed with an engineer visit, nothing will improve.

Distance from the exchange is irrelevant with FTTC, it is the distance from the cabinet that determines your speed.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 12

distance to exchange is immaterial it is distance to street cab that counts

are you currently using test socket with a filter to see if that improves connection and stability?  when in test socket can you check there is no dial tone at any extension sockets

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 12

With the BT Hub 6A connected through the test socket via a microfilter the line stats are as follows:

Noise margin: 6.5 dB / 12.7 dB
Line attenuation: 19.3 dB
Signal attenuation: 0 dB / 19.3 dB

Unfortunately the only other extension socket in the house is inaccessible and is not used anyhow.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 12

can you post the full set of stats now you are in test socket

whether there is anything connected to extension socket is not the problem it is it check whether there is a dial tone or not   if you use test socket and get dial tone at extension then you have star wiring which is wrong and causes broadband connection problems

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 12

Sure:

Untitled-1.pngUntitled-2.png

I will try to get to the extension socket tomorrow to check... I presume I can plug the Microfilter into the test socket at the master socket with the Home Hub 6A plugged into the Microfilter, then plug a phone into the Extension Socket with a Microfilter and I should not get a dialling tone. Is that what you're implying? If I do, then there is an internal wiring issue.

I have contacted BT this evening and they did detect a minor fault outside the property but it was also said that it was likely there was an issue inside the property and an Engineer has been arranged to visit on Tuesday to try and identify the issue; I have been issued with a Fault Ref. Number.

If I can test the Extension Socket tomorrow, I will update this thread for reference. 😄

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 12

Yes, except you won't need to use a filter at the extension, just plug the phone in directly and check to make sure dial tone is lacking.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 12

there is a problem somewhere with either your wiring or master faceplate as your attainable has gone form 41mb to 54mb with noise margin increasing as well   Connection speed still at 35mb due to banding

Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 12

Today I checked the setup with:

Modem in the Master Socket and Phone connected to the Extension Socket and there is dial tone.

Modem in the Test Socket and Phone in the Extension Socket and also no dial tone (nothing).  

Both cases were connected through microfilters and I presume that these results are all as you would expect.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 12

Yes that is expected so there is a problem possibly with faceplate that is causing the big difference I  attainable speed

0 Ratings