cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
redspelly
Aspiring Contributor
Message 11 of 19

Re: Superfast Fibre Plus

I suppose the question is can they do anything to improve the speeds - the galling thing is that neighbours across the road can get 47 and i get a poxy 20 if I’m lucky

I don’t mind paying for the extra speeds but this is very frustrating - can BT do something with the cable to the house?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 19

I am assuming that the router stats have been obtained whilst the hub is plugged into the test socket behind the removable faceplate of the master socket in order to eliminate any problems with your internal wiring. Any extensions should not have dial tone when the faceplate is removed.

If the problem is aluminium, there is nothing that can be done although it seems odd if your neighbour gets a much higher speed as I would expect them to be fed by the same underground cable.

Are they literally 'just across the road' or some distance away?

redspelly
Aspiring Contributor
Message 13 of 19

The engineer swapped out the socket today, my neighbour is across the road and about 25 mtrs to the right
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 19

Hmm, possibly on a different DP fed by a different cable.

redspelly
Aspiring Contributor
Message 15 of 19

So after a 2 hour call with various departments, confirmation received that basically what i get in terms of speeds is the best i am going to get.  Very disappointed as BT should not be guaranteeing a service they cannot fulfill.  Once of the reasons for changing over from Sky was to do with the increased speeds that BT guaranteed.  My option now I’d to stay with bt complete WiFi at a discount of 10 quid am month, or downgrade to a lesser package which would mean having to return the smart hub 2 or leave the contract and return to Sky - anyone any ideas what’s best to do?

0 Ratings
iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 16 of 19

Were you on ADSL2 with Sky ?, what speed did you get with that service ?
If your connection is as good as it can be, then the speed estimate is way off , but that allows you to leave penalty free after attempts are made to get you upto the minimum speed that was guaranteed (  if the estimate was over optimistic then you won't ever get that minimum)...only you can decide what's best , a discount on the BT price but although less speed that you expected, still better speed than ADSL, or move back to ADSL, if the price/speed trade off makes sense....I know you state the engineer changed out the master socket, but it may still be worthwhile plugging your router into the test port of the master and checking again your router stats.

0 Ratings
redspelly
Aspiring Contributor
Message 17 of 19

To be honest, the speeds haven’t changed in years, I think it was not much different before I went to sky fibre however long ago that was
0 Ratings
iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 18 of 19

If you were on Sky fibre  but only getting around 20Mb out of their 40Mb service, then it probably was never going to improve just by changing ISP even if the new provider was offering their higher speed product (80Mb instead of 40) if your line cannot reach 40 it was never going to achieve 80.

If you were with Sky was the estimate you posted based on your postcode ( Sky phone numbers don't work with the BT Wholesale checker)...if your postcode was used , and the postcode covers a large geographic area then the estimate can be unreliable , now you have a BT number what does the estimate show , if it's still the same as the previous one posted, it looks like the info on the checker is wrong, if it now shows an estimate a lot closer to what you actually get, then it may be the postcode that mislead you into thinking a big improvement was possible when it never was

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 19 of 19

if your speed is the same/similar to that which you have with sky then as they both use the same openreach cables it was unlikely that you would get any better speed

as @iniltous asked can you post stats from the test socket of the new master socket to see if any improvement

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings