Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 19

Re: Superfast Fibre Unlimited Speed Issue

Go to solution

The ideal solution would be to fit a filtered faceplate like this.

lindy.jpg

And then run a RJ11 extension lead from the VDSL socket on the front, to the home hub.

Aspiring Contributor
Message 12 of 19

Go to solution
Thanks for that. I think I will go down that route first and see how it goes.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 19

Go to solution

@GlennObrien wrote:
Thanks for that. I think I will go down that route first and see how it goes.

If you opt for the Lindy faceplate, the extension wiring connects to the back, and is filtered, so the broadband cannot get into the wiring.

lindy rear.jpg

There are plenty of RJ11 extension cables available,

data_extension.jpg

Aspiring Contributor
Message 14 of 19

Go to solution
So after all the messing around it would seem the issue was a faulty micro filter in the bedroom!

Shows you should always start with the obvious things!

Thanks for the help
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 19

Go to solution

@GlennObrien wrote:
So after all the messing around it would seem the issue was a faulty micro filter in the bedroom!

Shows you should always start with the obvious things!

Thanks for the help

Not sure how you came to that conclusion?

Its the extension wiring itself which is affecting the broadband speed, however if you said you also had a faulty microfilter on the bedroom socket, then that would not have helped.

At the moment, the only way you are going to get the full speed, is to leave the home hub plugged into the test socket, which will disconnect any extension wiring.

At the moment, with the faceplate back on, your connection speed is poor.

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 16 of 19

Go to solution
Basically I disconnected the phone lines in both rooms and then run another speed test at the master box with the face plate on (as obviously no issues using just the test port) and speed was at 40mbps.

Then ran speed tests while adding phone lines back in one at a time. Front room gave same speed result but when adding the bedroom line back on the speed dropped to 7mbps.

I’ve left the bedroom disconnected for now and will pick up a new micro filter and try that.

You may be right that even with the new micro filter it may cause speed to drop again but at least that way I can rule out that option before commiting to replacing the face plate or rewiring altogether.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 19

Go to solution

Thanks, I understand now, hopefully it fixes the problem, but sometimes that extra bit of cable can cause signal reflections, depending on how it is terminated.

I assume the bedroom extension comes from the front room socket. Usually they are just daisy chained together?

You could of course fit a filtered faceplate in the lounge, depending on what that socket looks like. It may look neater than a microfilter hanging out of the socket.

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 18 of 19

Go to solution
To be honest I’m not sure how it’s connected.

It’s a new build flat and the lounge port is on the same faceplate as the tv aerial input, it’s a strange box I haven’t seen before and if I can get away with not having to change wiring or boxes I will be happy as it’s privately rented accommodation and I can see that being a difficult conversation with my landlord!
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 19 of 19

Go to solution

I know what you mean, its one of those media panels, and there is not a lot you can do with those Smiley Sad

If there is only one cable connected to the master socket faceplate, then the bedroom one is probably connected via that media panel.

0 Ratings