cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 6

Superfast Fibre Unlimited average speed 50Mb or 36Mb?

Go to solution

Hi I recently re-contracted and have asked for the "Infinity 1"  (my old contract) equivalent package. The email about my new order of "Superfast Fibre Unlimited" confirms the broadband speed to be 50Mb. However, when I logged into My BT, the Package in my account as well as the order tracker, although also shows "Superfast Fibre Unlimited", describes the average speed to be 36Mb, not 50Mb. I ran a BT speed test and found my broadband speed now is indeed near 50Mb. So no issue with the actual speed fortunately.

Since the BT advertisement, my order confirmation email and my actual broadband speed all indicate 50 Mb as I expect to get, I don’t understand why the same package in My BT is described differently (36Mb). Not sure if this is just a general mistake of wording in My BT or if my package has been downgraded by mistake- as I know there is another package (Essential) being advertised as 36Mb. Has anyone found this in their recent order of "Superfast Fibre Unlimited"? Or should I be worried about this?

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Superfast Fibre Unlimited average speed 50Mb or 36Mb?

Go to solution

Up until recently ISP could advertise their Internet packages as "speeds up to".

Now Ofcom have said that they must give average speeds for the package. As with all averages, some people will get markedly above the average and some people will get markedly below.

All that Ofcom have done is to establish a  totally meaningless way of advertising the speeds.

You will have been given a guaranteed minimum speed when you signed up with BT and  as long as you are getting at least that you should just be happy that you are getting well above the average.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

Thanks for the reply.

Yes I did get the minimum guaranteed speed of 50Mb in the order confirmation email and my actual speed is not far from it. It's just the wording of average 36Mb in My BT that worries me, since BT still advertise the average speed of my package "Superfast Fibre Unlimited" to be 50Mb on its website, but somehow shows average 36Mb for the same package in my account when I logged in My BT. Very confusing- especially now there is a different package (Superfast Fibre Essential) that BT advertise it to be 36Mb.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

Have a read through this it might help but then again it might just confuse you even more!

https://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/61775/~/broadband-name-change-and-average-speeds

Highlighted
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

Thanks for the information.

You are right. I think I will just ignore that 36Mb in My BT, as long as I am getting the right speed of 50Mb.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

A BT speed test shows my speed as 60Mbps.

A test on this link

https://testmy.net/mirror

appears to give a more accurate result. Average, Slow, and Fastest.

0 Ratings