Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 34

Re: Superfast Fibre

Try turning Smart Setup off, it gives lots of problems like you describe.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44328/~/switching-smart-setup-on-and-off-on-the-bt-ho...

I think you may have already done that, but could you please check again.

Are you connecting using wireless, or are you using a direct Ethernet cable from the home hub?

If you are using wireless, then try turning off the 5GHz wireless on the home hub, as it has the same SSID as the 2.4GHz, and some devices do not like it.

See https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-setup-Wi-Fi-network/Disabling-5Ghz-on-the-Smart-Hub-2/td-p/1992466

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 12 of 34

Hello, yes smarthub setup is off.  I am using ethernet cable as I always have (and have tried long and short, new and old) with no difference.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 34

@AlisonP wrote:

Hello, yes smarthub setup is off.  I am using ethernet cable as I always have (and have tried long and short, new and old) with no difference.

In real terms, you would not expect to see any improvement on website loading by moving to Superfast "fibre", unless you were on a very slow ADSL connection beforehand.

It should be about the same, but not slower, so something is not quite right.

I see you are using the Firefox web browser at the moment. Have you tried using Google Chrome instead, as it has better cache management?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 14 of 34

I can try using Chrome, though I'm not a fan.  I don't find it so easy to use, but willing to give it a go.  I don't understand cache management and things like that so perhaps there are things that I need to be doing in addition.  I do delete browing history and cookies and clean up files at regular intervals, but I am always wary at deleting things I don't understand.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 34

Its a case of elimination, certainly on an old Windows 10 laptop I have, Firefox runs very slow compared to Google Chrome.

On a fast connection, it does not make sense for a web browser to "cache" old files and images, as it normally quicker to fetch them from the Internet.

The fact that you are having to refresh pages, would indicate to me that Firefox is caching too many files.

Its also a bit odd that your browser is reporting  firefox, but not which version, so I wonder if its a really old  obsolete version?

I use an older version of Firefox, mainly for compatibility with some macros, but my posts report Posted with device: firefox_55_0

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 16 of 34

As far as I am aware it is the most up to date version, I usually get messages to say about updating, etc and do it straight away.  I'm not sure where to look to find out what version it is.

My laptop is just 2 years old and I keep very  little saved on it.  I don't use it for streaming, gaming or anything like that.  It's general surfing, emailing, FB and family history.  Nothing complicated.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 34

are you using a virus checker or Bt protect?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 18 of 34

I have just checked Firefox on my Windows 10 laptop and this is what it shows.

Capture.JPG

That can be found by going to the help menu, and selecting "about"

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Sage
Message 19 of 34

You can set Firefox to delete the cache every time you close it.

In the address bar enter "about:preferences#privacy" (without quotes). Click clear data, then check box to delete cookies and site data when Firefox is closed.

2020-01-24 12_01_08-Options.png

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 20 of 34

I've got AVG, don't know about BT protect.  It's the same as it's been since before the upgrade.

0 Ratings