Message 21 of 34

Re: Superfast Fibre

Mine is exactly the same as yours.

0 Ratings
AlisonP
Aspiring Expert
Message 22 of 34

There was 911Mb cache which I have now cleared.  It is already ticked to remove cookies etc.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 23 of 34

@AlisonP wrote:

I've got AVG, don't know about BT protect.  It's the same as it's been since before the upgrade.

So you did not download any extra software onto your laptop when you upgraded your package?

BT Protect which is enabled via MyBT, can cause issues with slow DNS resolution which can make page lookups very slow.

You can check to see if it is enabled by looking at "My Extras" on your BT account.

BTs DNS servers can also be slow, and it can be a help to alter the settings on your laptop to use Google`s Public DNS servers instead.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 24 of 34

check MYBT and see if BT Protect is active after your fibre upgrade

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 25 of 34

@AlisonP wrote:

There was 911Mb cache which I have now cleared.  It is already ticked to remove cookies etc.

That is massive, and if your laptop has a hard disk, and not an SSD, then it will take forever to fetch a file from the cache. That was a figure that would be applicable to the old dial-up Internet.

A cache of 5-10Mb is more than adequate.

0 Ratings
AlisonP
Aspiring Expert
Message 26 of 34

I wish I could profess to understanding you.  What is a SSD.  Laptop has hard disk but don't know about anything else.  I am not that technically aware.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 27 of 34

@AlisonP wrote:

I wish I could profess to understanding you.  What is a SSD.  Laptop has hard disk but don't know about anything else.  I am not that technically aware.

An SSD is a Solid State Drive, which is very fast and totally silent. Yours most likely just has a normal hard disk.

Clearing the cache file should have helped a bit, but also try Chrome as well.

0 Ratings
AlisonP
Aspiring Expert
Message 28 of 34

OK thank you, I will.  I am in awe of everyone's knowledge on this forum and am grateful for the time you are all spending with me on this.

0 Ratings
AlisonP
Aspiring Expert
Message 29 of 34

BT Webprotect is on but virus protect isn't.  Should I change any of these? 

0 Ratings
AlisonP
Aspiring Expert
Message 30 of 34

I have just rechecked the cache and it has already gone back up to 98Mb.  If this is the problem, or part of the problem how can I stop it going up at least so quickly.

0 Ratings