Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 15

Re: Superfast prices via FTTC & FTTP

Go to solution

I think @michaelgreen45435 is on lowest FTTC package which is not available on FTTP hence need to upgrade to faster speed and higher cost

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
michaelgreen45435
Aspiring Contributor
Message 12 of 15

Go to solution

yes that is probably true

i have fttc at 54mbps.

to move to fttp, I am forced to take 100mbps, 150mbps, or 200mbps (or thereabouts), thus increasing my cost by at least 15 pounds

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 15

Go to solution

As far as I'm aware, Superfast1 and Superfast2 can be delivered by FTTP at the same price as FTTC. Hopefully the mods will clarify in the morning.

0 Ratings
iniltous
Guru
Message 14 of 15

Go to solution

I suspect that those that say the price for BT Superfast  1 or 2 is the same regardless of the FTTP or FTTC technology that is delivering it , are correct, but the chances are that the  FTTC price can be discounted from the retail ‘list price’ whereas FTTP will have no discount, as BT are already the ‘value’ provider when it comes to FTTP so why discount the product...., the ‘cheap’ end of the ISP market don’t currently offer service via Openreach FTTP.
If someone lives in an area that has access to both FTTP and FTTC and is happy with the FTTC speed they currently have, then why change to FTTP and keep the same speed as FTTC  ( and expect to pay the same price )
If someone has ( for example ) Superfast 1 and getting close to its max speed of 55Mb/s and wants to change to FTTP but wants to stay on a 55Mb product, the ISP may well say that the costs involved in this somewhat pointless change may mean that they would not offer it, and any discount given on the FTTC price wouldn’t be available on the FTTP product

0 Ratings
pompey1898
Recognised Expert
Message 15 of 15

Go to solution

@iniltouswrote:

I suspect that those that say the price for BT Superfast  1 or 2 is the same regardless of the FTTP or FTTC technology that is delivering it , are correct, but the chances are that the  FTTC price can be discounted from the retail ‘list price’ whereas FTTP will have no discount, as BT are already the ‘value’ provider when it comes to FTTP so why discount the product...., the ‘cheap’ end of the ISP market don’t currently offer service via Openreach FTTP.
If someone lives in an area that has access to both FTTP and FTTC and is happy with the FTTC speed they currently have, then why change to FTTP and keep the same speed as FTTC  ( and expect to pay the same price )
If someone has ( for example ) Superfast 1 and getting close to its max speed of 55Mb/s and wants to change to FTTP but wants to stay on a 55Mb product, the ISP may well say that the costs involved in this somewhat pointless change may mean that they would not offer it, and any discount given on the FTTC price wouldn’t be available on the FTTP product

Hi @iniltous ,

I totally agree with everything you have said.  However, there is another factor that I think needs to be taken into account.  The village has been riddled with problems of poor speed and frequent loss of service as it is mainly served by out of date equipment installed between the year dot and 1970.  I think it could be cheaper for Openreach to buy or rent a property so we have a resident engineer 😁.

Hopefully feeding the whole village with FTTP, rather than just the rich and powerful that already have it planned, would overcome these service issues to the benefit of evryone.

0 Ratings