cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
woobl
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 10

Swap out Home Hub 5 for Openreach Modem at installation?

Hi,

I'm scheduled to get Infinity installed to a new line in January and I'm not keen on using the supplied HH5 as I want to use my Time Capsule to control my network. Have there been any cases whereby the Engineer might be able to supply an Openreach modem on installation and not use the HH5? Or failing this I could do it myself after installation if I get a VDSL modem?

Thanks in advance!

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Swap out Home Hub 5 for Openreach Modem at installation?

you can ask the engineer at the visit but it will depend on what he has on his van
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 10

The Openreach engineer might install an Openreach modem but there is no guarantee because you have the HH5 which as you know has the modem integrated. You would need to ask and if he says no you'll have to accept that.

As far as I am aware there is nothing to stop you removing the HH5 and using your own modem. The only problem would be if you had any problems, BT would not offer any help or support, such as it is, because you are using non BT equipment.

UrbanGrunt
Expert
Message 4 of 10

You could ask the engineer as suggested, if it's an openreach engineer then you will most likely be able to have one off him/her. If it's kellys or another contractor then it's down to luck.

They are just plug and play so installing after the connection goes live will be easy, you can also pick them up from online auction sites for under £15, I'd suggest getting the ECI as it sync's slightly better than the other brand

0 Ratings
woobl
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 10

Thanks UrbanGrunt.

Is there any specific revision of the ECI I should look for? It might just get one anyway just in case I get a contractor.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Expert
Message 6 of 10

I wouldn't bother with the ECI they are hard to unlock and not very good.
The HG612 Rev 3B is far better and easy to unlock and when unlocked is excellent
--
To say thanks for a helpful answer, please click the white star
0 Ratings
Icarus
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 10

Was speaking to a mate who is still on the tools, I'm ex openreach. Hear that mods (ex as in no longer an employee). Anyway, he said soon they are going to have a barcode scanning system in place when they dish out modems, its so they can be tracked. If you are given a HH5 then the engineer will not be allowed to give you a DSL Modem as he will have to account for the stock on his van and also his job will state that the modem is supplied by the CP.
0 Ratings
woobl
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 10

Interesting to know! Install is happening 3rd Jan so I guess we'll wait and see. I've found a HG612 3B on a certain site so I've got that as well. Guess I can always swap it out after the engineer goes!
0 Ratings
Icarus
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 10

Apparently that's one of the reasons they are tracking them. Like the NTE the Openreach DSL modem is the property of openreach and people selling them on certain auction sites is basically theft.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 10

Nothing to stop you swapping it out then,  just don't sell it on and keep it to put back if required.

0 Ratings