cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Guru
Message 41 of 52

Re: Switch cabinet

@SuperSajuuk wrote:

It could be congestion or pieces of aluminium in your line that is causing you to get lower speeds than you should be.

Congestion though would not account for low connection data rates, just low achieved speed test results.

Wouldn't an aluminium section also increase the down attenuation?

Is a downstream connection data rate of 22Mbps around the max expected for a line down attenuation of 30dB? I appreciate that the line attenuation figure is just an average across the different signal frequency bands that might be used, but does that roughly match up? Unfortunately the stats give no signal attenuation.

Distinguished Guru
Message 42 of 52

... and working backwards, for a guaranteed downstream connection data rate of 27Mbps can anyone say what rough down line attenuation they would expect to see in the stats?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 43 of 52

Going by your line stats it would appear that you are about 2.2km from the cabinet which is more or less the same as you have said in your first post.

The following graph show a rough guide as to what speed you could expect over a given distance on a perfect line.

Given that you have had two engineers and the distance you are from the cabinet I suspect you are getting the best you are going to get and that it is the Checker Estimate that is wrong for some reason.

FTTC-speed-distance-graph.png 

SuperSajuuk
Aspiring Expert
Message 44 of 52

@umpire That is true. According to BT's estimate, they said the user should get 30mbps (with a lower guarantee of 27mbps), which would put the user around about 1km from the cabinet.

The user's stats show they are further than this, making BT's estimate incorrect (hence why I suggested aluminium may be increasing the attenuation).

I suspect that the dslchecker may be representing an "aluminium free" line. As far as I'm aware, if BT cannot get your speeds above the guaranteed minimum, they're allowed to let you leave without penalty.
0 Ratings
Bubbaspaarx
Contributor
Message 45 of 52

Are there any other options then?

0 Ratings
SuperSajuuk
Aspiring Expert
Message 46 of 52

Unless there is cable broadband available, then there wouldn't be much point in asking for a deadlock letter and the right to leave without a penalty, as all other ISPs (barring cable providers) would use the same equipment and line, so you would just be in the same predicament, just with another ISP instead of BT.

Only thing I can suggest is to keep insisting on engineer visits. Surely there will be one engineer that will be able to fix the problem o.O
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 47 of 52

@gg30340 wrote:

Going by your line stats it would appear that you are about 2.2km from the cabinet which is more or less the same as you have said in your first post.

Would you expect such a very low upstream connection data rate (under 0.5Mbps) though at 2.2km, or does it suggest some other line problem such as an aluminium section or bad joint or noise affecting the upstream signal frequencies more?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 48 of 52

@Bubbaspaarx wrote:

Are there any other options then?

Demand a very big discount on your Infinity 1 package as you are well below the guaranteed minimum. :smileywink:

There's some info here that may be of interest.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/35296/~/your-line-speed-explained

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 49 of 52

@umpire wrote:

@gg30340 wrote:

Would you expect such a very low upstream connection data rate (under 0.5Mbps) though at 2.2km, or does it suggest some other line problem such as an aluminium section or bad joint or noise affecting the upstream signal frequencies more?

In very general terms I have found that anybody who has posted on the forum with a line length over 2km was lucky to get any where near the speeds shown on the estimator and the upload speed was always significantly lower presumably because of the way VDSL drops off over distance.

It could of course also be affected by the factors you have mentioned but they would also affect the download speeds which would appear to be roughly right for the distance of the line.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Block66b
Contributor
Message 50 of 52

How far are you from the DP? Estimated speeds are based on speed to the DP, not your house.

Most people are within 40-60m of their DP so it's never really a problem but sometimes people can be upwards of 1500-2000m.

So the ISP will guarantee say 27mbps at the DP, which there pobably is but it the. Has to travel over several hundred more metres before it reaches your house.....
0 Ratings