cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 18

Switch to BT Fibre (FTTP) confusion

Go to solution

Am with Virgin Media (BB and Landline). Want to switch to BT Fibre as FTTP connections have been made on the telephone pole literally outside my house. BT guys installed it last year and I confirmed that it was the Fibre connection.

BT have confirmed I can have 150-900Mb fibre. I have a very old (at least 30 years) copper wire connecting run from the pole to the front of the house. My questions are:

- My study is on the side of the house (detached house). Will they run a Fibre cable from the pole to the side of the house then to ONT box outside the study wall and a connection into the study?

- Can I connect a phone to the BT modem as Internet phone?

- BT said they can put a BT socket - presumably in place of the socket that has the old copper connection to the house?

- What is the FTTC I hear about (e.g. Sky ultrafast)? Do BT provide this service?

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18

Re: Switch to BT Fibre (FTTP) confusion

Go to solution

try phoning FTTP TEAM 08005874787 and see if they can help you

the ONT is fixed inside your home not external

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 3 of 18

Go to solution
Thanks for the ONT - now I know. I thought they need to pull the cable from the post to my house ( at top gutter level) and then run another one to the entry point of my study. I thought they need an external box for these connections.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 18

Go to solution

You do, it's called a CSP, customer splice point.

Message 5 of 18

Go to solution
Thanks. Does the CSP require any electrical power?
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 18

Go to solution

No, it just an enclosure for the splice between internal and external fibre.

Message 7 of 18

Go to solution

There will be no splice point if fed overhead.

It will come from pole to roof eaves, then to where you require through external wall.

The ONT will need to be fitted close to a power socket.

The engineer may use a fully connectorised cable, if not, they will add the internal connector once you have notified them of the position of the ONT.

This was the way mine was done a year ago.

CSPs are only fitted to new build FTTP homes.

JonUK

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 18

Go to solution

@JonUK 

Thanks. So he can take the cable to the eves above the garage, run it straight down the external wall from there into the garage (back wall of the garage goes into my study. Hopefully this works.

What is a fully connectorised cable BTW?

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 18

Go to solution

What JonUK has said is incorrect.

Openreach do use a CSP, Customer Splice Point on both Overhead and Underground Provides, both for Brown and Greenfield Sites.

Openreach used to use something called FFC, Field Fit Connectors for a few years but stopped doing so a couple of years ago as they proved ineffective and had a high fault rate.

Greenfield sites did start using Female to Female Connectors instead of CSP’s but again Openreach have scrapped them off in favour of using Splice Points again.

The CSP Openreach now use is about 7 inches square and an inch deep and come in 3 different shades of grey.

Message 10 of 18

Go to solution

@Starwire2 

And this is fitted on external wall? If so, he can fit it next to the garage door and take the cable inside to the back wall and into the study. I guess he can put the box outside the study on the side of the house and then run a short cable into the study. There are no clear videos showing how this works with over hang cable to the house.

0 Ratings