cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 8

Switched over to Fibre (now slower)

Hi I've been moved over to fiber, this was done by BT not a request. My speed has dropped from 8-9.5MBPS to 5.8.

I was told my estimate speed would be 2-6 in an email i received but this seems silly considering my copper ADSL2+ was almost double the speed.. Not only is it slower my ping is higher by around 15ms.

I'm guessing this has to do with the line length, but I've seen a cabinet in my village which is around half a mile away surely this could be used? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Switched over to Fibre (now slower)

Enter your phone number and post results. Remember delete number.  https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/

Post hub stats  advanced settings then technical log information 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 8

Featured ProductsDownstream Line Rate(Mbps)Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)Downstream Handback Threshold(Mbps)WBC FTTC Availability DateWBC SOGEA Availability DateLeft in Jumper  High Low High Low        Featured ProductsDownstream Line Rate(Mbps)Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)Downstream Range(Mbps)WBC FTTP Availability Date

ADSL ProductsDownstream Line Rate(Mbps)Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)Downstream Range(Mbps)ADSL Availability DateWBC SOADSL Availability DateLeft in JumperObserved SpeedsVDSLADSLOther Offerings

Availability Date

Premise environmentStatus

VDSL Range A (Clean)6.32.51.20.81.9AvailableAvailable-- 
VDSL Range B (Impacted)6.32.51.10.81.8AvailableAvailable-- 
FTTP on Demand33030--Available---- 
WBC ADSL 2+Up to 5--4 to 8.5AvailableAvailable-- 
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex MUp to 5Up to 14 to 8.5AvailableAvailable-- 
ADSL MaxUp to 3.5--3 to 7.5AvailableAvailable-- 
WBC Fixed Rate2----AvailableAvailable-- 
Fixed Rate2----Available---- 
Max Observed Downstream Speed (Mbps)--9.73     
Max Upstream Observed Speed (Mbps)--1.18     
Observed Date--2020-03-09     
VDSL Multicast------Available---- 
ADSL Multicast------Available---- 
Bridge TapU      
VRIN      
NTEFaceplateN      
Last Test Date09-03-2020

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 8

Product code:Smart Hub 2

Serial number:+091301+1941042000

Firmware version:v0.12.02.11078-BT

Firmware updated:unknown

Board version:R01

GUI version:1.53a 29_08_2018

DSL uptime:0 days,06 Hours31 Mins09 Secs

Data rate:1.273 Mbps / 6.587 Mbps

Maximum data rate:1.273 Mbps / 6.859 Mbps

Noise margin:6.2 / 4.3

Line attenuation:20.9 / 40.5

Signal attenuation:20.9 / 42.6

VLAN id:101

Upstream error control:Off

Downstream error control:Off

Data sent / received:254.6 MB Uploaded  / 1.7 GB Downloaded

Broadband username:bthomehub@btbroadband.com

BT Wi-fi:Activated

2.4 GHz wireless network name:BT-8TACQJ

2.4 GHz wireless channel:Smart (Channel11)

5 GHz wireless network name:BT-8TACQJ

5 GHz wireless channel:Smart (Channel36)

Wireless security:WPA2 (Recommended)

Wireless mode:Mode 1

Firewall:On

MAC address:F0:86:20:AA:9F:5B

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 8

You need to phone BT  move back to adsl2 as you will have better connection. There should have been a phone number to contact if you didn't want the change to fibre to go ahead

openreach will not move your cabinet just so you can get a better broadband speed. This has been covered numerous times on the forum

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 8

Your router stats look fine and you are at the top end of your VDSL estimate.  BT have moved you from ADSL to FTTC as they are going to be removing ADSL equipment from the exchanges.  For some people such as yourself this will result in slower speeds.  I can only suggest you look at 4G instead - if you can't get 10Mbps download over 4G then you could apply for USO but you are likely to get at least 10Mbps on 4G.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 8

it will be a while before you cannot get adsl broadband so I would phone BT on the number on the BT email and move back to adsl2. Sooner the better

there are some similar posts on the forum with customers same problem as you. Use search facility

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Sage
Message 8 of 8

@brookheatherwrote:

Your router stats look fine and you are at the top end of your VDSL estimate.  BT have moved you from ADSL to FTTC as they are going to be removing ADSL equipment from the exchanges.  For some people such as yourself this will result in slower speeds.  I can only suggest you look at 4G instead - if you can't get 10Mbps download over 4G then you could apply for USO but you are likely to get at least 10Mbps on 4G.

2025 before they even start.

0 Ratings