cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Switching form Virgin Media

I'm currently a Virgin Media customer and I've just placed an order for a new BT broadband and landline deal in my home. The order states that an engineer is required to visit and install the BT Fibre and landline. I just have a few questions about this:

1. Is an engineering visit required since I am already on a fibre plan with Virgin Media?
  2. Our landline is also with Virgin but the number used to be with BT (i.e. we still have a BT phone line in our home). So is it possible to set up the BT Fibre with this existing BT phone line?
  3. Our provisional engineering appointment date is on the 27th July, so is this the date that I should tell Virgin to cancel our contract?
0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Switching form Virgin Media

VM’s network is totally separate from Openreach, so you will need an Openreach  ‘new’ line, no one apart from Virgin is allowed to use VM infrastructure.
If it was years ago you last had a ‘BT’ type service, then even if you have an old ‘BT’ socket, it will probably need an engineer visit to get it working ( they may even change it to a more modern one )
If you want to keep your number ( wether that is a BT number you took to Virgin years ago  or a Virgin number you now want to keep with BT ) you need to make that clear at order entry so the appropriate number port or return of a ported number can be arranged.
If you have indicated you want to keep the phone number VM should already know your landline service is ceasing (because the number is porting or returning ) but they may not cease broadband and TV , if you have those as well , a call to VM to make sure they are ending cannot harm.

Message 3 of 5

I would suggest avoiding BT they are horrendous and their customer services leave a lot to be desired. I have not had my guaranteed speed for nearly a year since we have had them in.  They offer not compensation despite them saying they are aware I have a faulty hub. Go elsewhere, BT is not worthy of your money

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

I have to disagree Lee, I have just switched from Virgin Media to BT, and I have had no trouble at all. I was with VM for over 20 years and for the last 2 years I was treated like dirt by VM. I had non stop broadband connections with them, and they said there was nothing wrong. As soon as I switched to BT, my broadband has been 100 times better than VM. It is no wonder Richard Branson sold them.

Message 5 of 5

We swapped after VM wanted us to pay more for taking off a TV service that we didnt even use. I had no problem with BT previously but this time has been farcical. They sent engineers out to fix the line within the first few weeks. I never had fast internet. The max I get is 10mb despite the guarantee being 21. I can count on one hand the amount of times it has hit 21. They sent an engineer out again to fix the line and now customer services say I have had a dodgy hub from day one which none of the engineers have checked at all

0 Ratings