Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
VishalM
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 5

Switching from Bt to another bt openreach ISP

Hi,

If I was to switch from Bt to another bt openreach ISP such as Sky or Plusnet or Zen broadband, would i be connected to a different line from the cabinet to the exchange? Would I see any difference in connection ie Online gaming improvement or would everything just remain the same and theres no change at all?

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Switching from Bt to another bt openreach ISP

It would be just the same line from the cabinet to your exchange. Speed may be slightly different, but I cannot see anything else changing.

It would be best to make sure you do not have any issues with your current connection, like noise on your phone line, which will cause problems.

See your existing thread https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Fibre-broadband/Bt-Infinity-congestion-causing-gaming-lag/m-p/1911205

0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 5

Are you on ADSL or Fibre currently?

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 4 of 5

The first thing that happens with a switch between any provider be it BT to SKY etc or the other way around, SKY to BT etc is a cease and desist is placed on the port at the cabinet.

The new ISP will then place an order for provision, if there is a waiting list on the cab it will go in the queue and you will be provided when a place becomes available.

This is yet agaiin an uniformed rule made by OFCOM among many they've made. Just make sure that whichever ISP you intend to move to guarantees there is no waiting list on your cab. They can check with BT Wholesale but frequently do not.

Other than that everything will still be the same.

For @TimCurtis this refers to VDSL (FTTC) only and this is the FTTC forum and as linked by @Keith_Beddoe is an FTTC connection.

0 Ratings
VishalM
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 5

Fibre
0 Ratings