cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SG78
Message 1 of 6

Switching to Infinity - possible wiring problem

Hi all

I just signed up for an Infinity 1 package on Fri. Richard Branson has got my back up wanting another 10% for his broadband in Feb, which is about the 3rd increase in what seems like only 18 months. So anyway....

I got an email from BT saying I won't need an engineer visit after all, since apparrently I have a working line at the property. I'll address this with them in due course since it's not quite correct. The master socket is not wired in any more. It's there, but someone has chopped the wiring in the past, and that's what I'm worried about.....

The "tail" of the remaining cable is pretty short and I'm not sure there is enough there for an engineer to be able to terminate back on to the plate. So I'm wondering what the options might be. I guess they could maybe splice some extra cable on, but would there then be a risk of degrading the quality and affecting broadband performance? It's a rented flat so I'm really hoping no major changes have to be made to rectify this. Anyone have any experience like this or suggestions?

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Switching to Infinity - possible wiring problem

As its normally self install, I would request a visit, as it sounds like you need someone to fit a new socket.

0 Ratings
SG78
Message 3 of 6

Yes, I will be requesting a visit. As I said, the wiring needs to be re-terminated, that much is clear (either to a new socket or the existing one. If the length of the wire was sufficient I wouldn't be concerned about this in any way at all. My concern is that there isn't enough free cable in the pattress to play about with and so it may not be as simple as that. So I'm wondering what a typical course of action would be in such circumstances - i.e. trying to join a short section of extra wire that can be tucked away inside and terminate that to the socket, or, having to open up the wall and the cable conduit to get some extra length, which would then mean relocating the socket.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

I would imagine Openreach would move the socket, unless you are fed from a pole.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 6

If there's enough cable accessable, there's nothing to stop Openreach crimping a new bit of wire on the end, or installing a junction box.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Block66b
Contributor
Message 6 of 6

You know Richard Branson doesn't have a stake in Virgin Media anymore, he sold his share to Liberty Global a while back..... They decided to retain the name for branding purposes......
0 Ratings