Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
minch
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 15

TD-W9970 "losing" bandwidth

Hi

I've just had a BT engineer round (as we have slower than "guaranteed" speeds and frequent drop outs), and he says my TD-W9970 router is "losing" bandwidth at about 2MBPs compared to what his kit says we should have. A good explanation of how/why was not forthcoming, so I have no idea what to do. We use the TP-link router as we had so many probs with the HH and DHCP conflicts with our network set up, which was finally resolved through this excellent forum and its advice to get the router!

Any help or explanation greatly received

Richard

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 15

Re: TD-W9970 "losing" bandwidth

can you post stats from the tplink

can you enter your phone number and post results  https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
minch
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 15

Here we go... Thanks 

Screenshot 2019-07-07 at 14.42.31.jpgScreenshot 2019-07-07 at 14.44.25.jpg

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 15

@minch   for your security please delete your phone number as this is public forum

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 15

sorry I should have said leave exchange and cab information   can you just post exchange and cab information please

your stats show you have 14/2mb connection speed which is marginally before bottom estimated down speed of 15mb but bottom for up speed  your down speed is above the handback threshold

0 Ratings
minch
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 15

imjolly

It is: Exchange BRIMSCOMBE is served by Cabinet 2

Thanks

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 7 of 15

Hopefully G.INP will kick in and get those 2Mbps back for you. Can take up to 14 days though.

0 Ratings
minch
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 15

Doubt I'll get anymore, been like this since we upgraded about 6m ago!

The main thing that confused me was the openreach engineer implying that there was a problem with the TP router, that somehow bandwidth was being "lost" by the router - he plugged his thing into the cable from the master socket, then looked at the TP router and said there was a 2-3Mbps difference. I've done a good search online and can't find what he was talking about. The router is not very old so if there is a prob then its under warranty, but i would need to describe what the problem is!

The below promised speed is usual, but to be honest the myBT website doesn't say what speed we have and the t+c for the speed guarantee do not exist anywhere I can find them and several requests for them have been met either by online chat disconnections or by verbal promises which are not fulfilled! I've given up on this bit, just wanted to know exactly what the engineer was on about (other than making it up) so I could replace the router if it was faulty. Any help with that explanation would be most helpful, before I ignore him and put it down to just being part of the BT experience

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 15

No 2 different devices will show exactly the same speed, they will have different chipsets that interact with the DSLAM chipset differently.

0 Ratings
minch
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 15

I appreciate that but the implication from the engineer was that my kit was malfunctioning - if this just a smokescreen for our below promised speed then thats fine, I just don't want to go and replace kit if I don't have to. Would love to one day get a straight answer directly from BT, am thankful that this forum exists as its the only place to get one!

0 Ratings