Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
smit
Beginner
Message 1 of 33

TP-Link Archer VR900 VDSL-2 router/modem

Hi

I have been trying for several hours to get this to connect to my BT FTTC service, I have been using the HH5 since my service was activated a few weeks ago, have experienced a few line drops with the HH5 and also wanted something with better Wi-fi coverage.

Thr initial VR900 setup is a simple wizard which provides a list of ISP's to select so : BT-VDSL / Username: bthomehub@btinternet.com / Password: BT, it then auto configures and attempts to connect to the internet but fails each time. I have checked settings manually via the routers web interface and all seems ok. VDSL2/ Annex A/ VLAN 101. I've updated the unit to the latest available firmware (151210), and have also factory reset the unit via rear reset button. Is the Annex type correct? when VDSL is selected the only Annex type selectable is A, I seem to remember my HH5 was set to annex B, maybe this is the problem?Smiley Frustrated If connection type is set to auto it defaults to annex A/L/M, I've tried both to no avail. I've spoken with both TP-Link and BT customer support about the problem but neither were much help.

Could somebody please tell me where i'm going wrong, I can post some screenshots of settings if it's any help.

Thanks.

0 Ratings
32 REPLIES 32
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 33

Re: TP-Link Archer VR900 VDSL-2 router/modem

Username is bthomehub@btbroadband.com  and any password 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
smit
Beginner
Message 3 of 33

Thanks, I'm pretty sure I did try @btbroadband.com also but I'll give it another go when I get home in the morning.

0 Ratings
smit
Beginner
Message 4 of 33

Still having no success with this, using username : bthomehub@btbroadband.com/password : bt. Auto setup is still failing to connect the modem to the VDSL service.

Has anyone else here got a VR900 working on BT VDSL2 (FTTC)? It seems to work for some but I've also come across a few threads on both Talk Talk, Plusnet and Sky Forums where people have had similar problems with the unit that I'm having.

Apparently there is a later firmware available that offers a possible fix, but it doesn't seem to be available for download on the TP-Link support site, latest version there being 151210 which I have installed. I've emailed TP-Link to request they send me the later firmware if possible. 

Here's a few screenshots of settings, you can see from the top image that is hasn't assigned any ip information for ipv4. Any assistance greatly appreciated. Thanks.

status.pngDSL settings.pngstatus2.png

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 33

Have you tried Annex B?
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
smit
Beginner
Message 6 of 33

There is no Annex B on this unit, if I select VDSL as connection type then it defaults to Annex A, if I set connection type to auto it defaults to Annex A/L/M. I do seem to remember my HH5 was set to annex B so this could be the problem. But if it needs Annex B to work it begs the question, why are TP-Link marketing the VR900 as a BT VDSL2 compatible unit? Not sure about annex type and what it does to be honest, maybe the beta firmware that I've requested adds support for annex B. Anyway thanks for reply Webby.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 33

this thread shows it working on A/L/M  https://community.bt.com/t5/Connected-Devices-Other/TP-LINK-Archer-VR900-AC-1900-Wireless-Dual-Band-...

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 33

Annex A was the original VDSL2 modulation type that utilised 8MHz of the spectrum. Annex B is the version which utilises 17MHz (the increase from the original up to 40meg service to the now up to 80meg service). There's no annex B on that drop down underneath VDSL?
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
smit
Beginner
Message 9 of 33

Seems that's not the problem then as I've tried both A & A/L/M, will have a look through the thread you linked to for any possible clues. Thanks.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 33

Are there Annexes L and M for VDSL2?
0 Ratings