cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
blue166
Contributor
Message 1 of 10

Taking/Making Phone Calls Causes Dropped Packets (Sometimes Even A Re-sync)

Hi All,

ADVICE REQUIRED PLEASE

The last few days I susspected something odd has been up with my phoneline. Just so you know, I have borrowed a corded phone to test in the master sockert (which has a MK2 faceplate - Fitted by OpenReach engineer 4 years ago) I also have a cordless phone (have also tested with this but obviously corded is preferred so done all tests with the recently). The problem remains regardless.

So, whenever a phone call comes in or out via the landline the broadband (FTTC 80/20 Infinity2) starts to drop packets. It then drops packets again after hanging up also. On a few occasions the OR Modem (ECI) drops sync then reconnects all together. I contacted BT and spoke to a chap in Ireland? Anyways, he ran some tests on the connection and after around 10 minutes said there is a ring trip error on the line which he said would require an engineer appointment (Which is booked for Monday 1-6pm).

Now I have had this connection for 4 years and touch wood it has been amazing. Low latency on fastpath and full speed pretty much all throughout. Though my connection recently also appears to be Interleaved also all of a sudden (Maybe coincidence??)..

Though I thought I would dig a little deeper the last few days. Quiet line tests at various times etc... through main master socket and with part of faceplate removed to the test socket behind? Assuming that the first port behind is the test socket? And the same thing occurs regardless. It is a very strange one. I certainly have not ever changed anything internally with the phone system etc... I have looked outside at whatever bit of cable runs through my front wall from the little grey BT box on the wall. It all looks normal to me. Beyond that the cable goes off underground and round the corner to the PCP box (fibre box is bang oppisite - both about 50-70mtrs from house).

I have done my best to do all I can do before making the phone call I made as I know the £129 potential charge if fault is in property.

The Master Socket has no internal cable and it goes right out my front living room wall to the little grey BT box. The cable run to that is barely nothing. And again whatever little cable runs straight into master socket. So no cable run around the house etc...

I am basically looking for anything on this and what could cause it and how could it all of a sudden begin. I am at a loss. Like I say I do have an engineer booked to see whats going on and to hopefully solve the issue. But its really weird.

The phone does ring and can be answered but what it's doing to the Infinity connection is just weird. Any help, advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Taking/Making Phone Calls Causes Dropped Packets (Sometimes Even A Re-sync)

Try using the test socket with a new filter with hub and phone connected to filter then ring home and see if that still drops the connection

test socket is shown by black arrow after removing middle section  test-socket-thumb.jpg

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
blue166
Contributor
Message 3 of 10

Hi,

I don't have a filter for this connection. Any ideas?

I have tried the phone line in the test socket and the BB in the fibre socket and it still happens. I understand that isn't the same as having both in a filter.

I definitely don't have a filter I can use to test though 😞
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

You normally get a filter when you received your hub. The filters you possibly used with adsl will do as well

if you connected phone to test socket then broadband socket will not work. I think you did not remove the middle section of your filtered socket shown by yellow arrow in my previous post

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
blue166
Contributor
Message 5 of 10

Many thanks for the reply.

What else am I to remove to use the actual test socket?

20180617_003800[3025] (1).jpg

Thanks,

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 10

the section where your hub is connected just pulls off leaving the test socket underneath just as shown in my previous post

0 Ratings
blue166
Contributor
Message 7 of 10

Hi,

Thanks for that. Still the same. Any idea what would cause this strange issue? I noticed when I was on the PC and wife took a phone call that a webpage would not load for 10 seconds then was fine. So I started a ping test bbc.co.uk -t and watched in (PC wired to router). And when the call was hung up it dropped a few packets then was ok again. So I then dialled the quiet line test and watched PC screen. As soon as the option menu connected again dropped packets. And again when hung up. And as I said on some random occasions it actually caused the DSL light to go out and then flash and connect again. (Not every time with the DSL light).

Weird? And ideas?
0 Ratings
blue166
Contributor
Message 8 of 10

Also,

Can I please ask if it is normal for the phone line to cause some dropped packets on the Infinity connection when you answer a call and again when you hang up. Or would someone mind testing this?

So while running a hardwired CMD prompt to say BBC.co.uk and then look when you accept the call if it drops some packets then behaves again and then does the same when you hang up. Because up until now I have never noticed/experienced this. So just to clarify it's when the landline call is accepted and then when you hang up. Ping then returns to normal.

Thanks,
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

Hi @blue166,

It does sounds like it could be a line fault with the telephone service. I understand from your first post that an engineer is due to visit tomorrow. I think the visit is needed as you have tried everything you can to rule out a problem with your internal set up.

Please post back and let us know how the visit goes tomorrow.

Thanks

PaddyB

0 Ratings
blue166
Contributor
Message 10 of 10

Hi PaddyB,

I will report back with update for sure.

Thanks,