cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Telegraph poles black boxes

Go to solution

I'm seeing black boxes appearing on telegraph posts round here. 

They are black boxes with little nodules poking out attached to massive long black cable

What are they for will we see fibre improvement

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: Telegraph poles black boxes

Go to solution

If they are like these they are for supply of FTTP.

multiport.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

Yes that them. 

So that's no advantage to me then my line will still stay copper house to pole and then to cab FTTC. 

My line only plug into that box if you buy FTTP .

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

You can upgrade to FTTP at any time once it is available. Fibre 1 & 2 are charged at the same price as FTTC, the difference is you will get the top speeds of 55Mbps and 80Mbps. There is currently no install charge.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

Why is it of no advantage to you? For a given speed of broadband, cost is the same regardless of whether delivered by copper or fibre. Only the faster speeds not available on copper are more expensive

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

Is this correct then once that black box thing goes live will I be automatically connected to it and see my speeds jump to max of 55meg on fibre 1 and pay same price.  Coz at the mo my fttc is 52.3 max on adsl checker but I'm only synced at 35meg. 

How long roughly before the black boxes go live.

2 black boxes slim version and the one in the above pic.  

Cheers guys

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

To get the black box live there is  a lot more infrastructure to put in place. Spine work, fibre nodes to install and a lot of fibre splicing.

The bit you see on the pole is only a small part of the wider picture. 

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

When you see WBC FTTP available to you HERE then you can upgrade to it. It is not automatic, you have to order it.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution
Chances are that you will remain on the service you currently have , unless you are contacted by BT and asked if you would like to be upgraded for free, you could ‘force’ a transfer onto the FTTP by ordering a speed that is in excess of 80Mb , or possibly by calling BT and asking to be transferred but remaining on the same speed product ( possibly at the cost of a new minimum term contract ) but AFAIK, there is no automatic transfer once the new FTTP is brought into service by Openreach , which could be quite a while after the CBT appears on the pole.
0 Ratings