cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 24

Re: Terrible Internet Speeds (repeating occurrence)

@consmi24 wrote:

I've just done a quiet line test, and there is some interference on the line, but nothing too loud.

I've tried the test socket and it's getting the same speeds. We have no other extension sockets in other rooms.

If there is interference on your silent line test then you will need to report a telephone fault. The whole point of a silent line test is that the line should be silent.

Don't report it as a broadband fault as that will put you in the wrong repair system.  Once the line noise has been resolved your broadband should improve.

consmi24
Aspiring Contributor
Message 12 of 24

@gg30340 

I've done a check recently and there isn't any noise on the line.

I've attached the results for a wholesale test and my availability. I've made no changes to my package/line/router at all since the last post so it feels like this doesn't add up correctly. 

results2.png

edit 26.06.19(1).png

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 24

can you post up to date router stats

are you using the test socket with a filter to see if this helps with stability and increase attainable speed  test  I don't expect test socket to give you an instant connection speed increase but to show with best connection - test socket - what you are getting and what is attainable

BT speed quoted are connection speeds not download speeds

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
consmi24
Aspiring Contributor
Message 14 of 24

@imjolly 

I'll run the test socket again, but to get an idea of what situation - last month I was getting download speeds in the 40/50 mbp/s region, and since, I'd like to say, the 3rd I've been getting 6mbp/s to 8mbp/s. The drops are nearly daily and randomly.

I'll also post the router stats:

Product name:

BT Hub 6A

Serial number:

+084316+NQ84884933

Firmware version:

SG4B1000E016

Firmware updated:

24-May-2019

Board version:

Gui version:

DSL uptime:

0 Days, 22 Hours 13 Minutes 39 Seconds

Data rate:

10.00 Mbps / 13.10 Mbps

Maximum data rate:

22006 / 41504

Noise margin:

14.5 dB / 24.4 dB

Line attenuation:

20 dB

Signal attenuation:

0 dB / 20 dB

VPI / VCI:

0/38

Modulation:

G_993_2_ANNEX_B

Latency type:

Fast Path

Data sent / received:

314 MB Uploaded / 15199 MB Downloaded

Broadband username:

bthomehub@btbroadband.com

BT Wi-fi:

Active

2.4 GHz wireless network name:

BTHub6-X2SW

2.4 GHz wireless channel:

Smart (Channel 11)

5 GHz wireless network name:

BTHub6-X2SW

5 GHz wireless channel:

Smart (Channel 36)

Wireless security:

WPA2 (Recommended)

Wireless mode:

Mode 1

Firewall:

On

MAC address:

30:24:78:C7:3D:97

Software variant:

-

Boot loader:

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 24

your conenction time is only 22hrs is that due to manual reset or router dropping connection?

your connection speed is low and maybe still dropping and your noise margin is high - normal about 6db  due to line instability.  hopefully connecting to test socket with a filter and leave it there your stability will return which in turn will help your conenction speed

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Highlighted
consmi24
Aspiring Contributor
Message 16 of 24

@imjolly 

That's the router dropping its connection - I rarely manually reset, only if the router drops consistently over a short period of time. You're correct about the speed still dropping, I can currently download at 1.8MB/s but sometimes I'll drop to 600KB/s (which I haven't seen on any internet connection for god knows how long)

The last time I had an engineer come to the premises (which was about a month or so ago), he did line checks and said there was no problems with the line itself. 

I'm about to leave the house for an hour or two, I'll check the speeds when i return to check if the line actually holds up while I'm gone.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 24

As I said it is your connection speed that the dslchecker shows not download speed. Your download speed will only improve if the can improve your connection speed which in turn will only improve if you can get a stable connection

0 Ratings
consmi24
Aspiring Contributor
Message 18 of 24

@imjolly 

Sorry for taking so long to get back to this thread. I've used the test socket which is exactly the same socket because of the NTEC5C filter.

These are the current results:

1. Downstream Test:  -provides background information.

Download Speed
 10.48 Mbps

0 Mbps11.52 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 10.48 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 8.06 Mbps-11.52 Mbps .
 Additional Information:
 IP Profile for your line is - 11.52 Mbps

2. Upstream Test:  -provides background information.

Upload Speed
 8.19 Mbps

0 Mbps10 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 8.19Mbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 10 Mbps
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 19 of 24

you need to unclip the front of the NTEC5C to see the test socket and connect filter then hub  connecting to front of filtered master socket is not the test socket 

you also need to post router stats from advanced settings then technical log information  what you are posting is btspeedtester results which are not showing the stats or connection time

0 Ratings
consmi24
Aspiring Contributor
Message 20 of 24

@imjolly 

Sorry I could've put that clearer, I did unclip the front etc. The face plate just connects into the same socket as what would be the test socket. 

These are the stats (the connection time is just because someone in my house unplugged and re-attached the face plate so I had to unclip again etc)

Product name:

BT Hub 6A

Serial number:

+084316+NQ84884933

Firmware version:

SG4B1000E016

Firmware updated:

24-May-2019

Board version:

Gui version:

DSL uptime:

0 Days, 0 Hours 3 Minutes 32 Seconds