Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jaso1515
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

Terrible internet speed, unable to upgrade

Hi All,

Having a bit of a crisis at the moment with my current internet.. Bit of backstory, (skip to paragraph 3 to avoid a long story) I currently moved to a new address and went throught the "moving house?" option on the BT website, went with Infinity 2 as that was my current plan, It said "Good news, we can transfer your existing plan to your new address" I can't quite remember what the issue was at the time but I couldn't complete my order online. I tried opening a new order to see if it was maybe a website issue, I went trhrough selecting my address.. my plan.. selected infinity 2 which it said "Fibre is available in your area" GREAT! except.. I still couldn't complete my order.. This was all around 1st July 2016

Fast forward a week later and I had to call up to explain we couldn't order through the website, At this point we were told that moving address would be fine, however, fibre wasn't available in my area.. I explained the website said it was, after completing the order i tried the website again and sure enough "Fibre is not currently available due to high demand" The guy on the phone explained in exact words "It'll be around 3-4 weeks no longer, and we'll give you a call to upgrade to fibre again." 

Internet was activated 3rd of August and was sketchy from the get-go, obviously I knew that it would take a few days to stabilise. I persisted for a few days and the connection improved very slightly, a few more days I think it settled, we were at 2.1Mb after day 1-3 being 1.1Mb, this continued for about a month.. Slow internet from the start but it did get very slightly more bearable until.. around a month in, we were noticing on weekends that pretty much everything was unloadable, webpages, games, videos, music... over time, it's reached the point where my connection is a constant <1Mb even weekdays/late nights and i'm so close to losing the head. I've never experienced internet quite this slow and I remember the dial-up days! 

We've tried calling and using live chat for a solution and an upgrade but everytime, we keep being told pretty much we've been added to the waiting list (on it for 3 months now) or that we would get a call back to upgrade. I've had a friend who is an openreach engineer, check the line and report there are no faults from the house to the pole, I was told by live chat that i would be able to upgrade and they would have someone call me the next day to arrange it.. doesn't take a genius to guess that didn't happen. 

Today, my speedtests are almost the lowest i've seen them and i'm now getting under my "Guaranteed" speed of 512kb. I REALLY need some help in trying to improve them or upgrading and it's not for the want of trying or that it's too expensive. I know that moving to another company to get fibre isn't a viable option. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

(Third party site used to reflect true speed from different servers, Tests all ranged 0.41mb-0.49mb)

Capture.PNGCapture3.PNG

Capture4.PNG

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: Terrible internet speed, unable to upgrade

As far as I'm aware, there is no waiting list when a cabinet is full. It is unfortunately a case of checking https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/ every day to see if there is availability. Until a port becomes spare or Openreach increase capacity, there is nothing else you can do.

0 Ratings
jaso1515
Beginner
Message 3 of 4

I've had a look and it does mention there is a wait list for FTTC and I forgot to mention that I've been through the openreach website which shows Demand is high BUT the cabinet is accepting orders.. I just can't put in an order!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 4

You just need to keep checking I''m afraid.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings