I have a Texecom Speech Dialler that is wired to the user accessible terminals in the BT Master Socket.
I noticed a drop in my broadband download speed of around 30MB. Interestingly the upload speed did not appear to be affected. It was still showing as around 18MB at times. I had the two Speech Dialler wires removed. BT reset the profile and my download speed was registering as 75MB. Reconnected the wires, the speed dropped by 30MB, we then removed the wires, the speed went back to 75MB.
So any ideas why this is happening, is there a problem with the Faceplate electronics or with the Texecom product. What are my options here?
1) Replace master socket
2) Change the face plate to add 2 sockets so I can plug the phone and the speech dialler in the front
3) Run an extension from the Master and plug the Speech Dialler into the Extension point.
Appreciate thoughts/experience from anyone here.
Solved! Go to Solution.
Are you sure you have it plugged into the bottom socket of the Openreach NTE, as shown below?
Top socket - I believe have a RJ11 cable plugged into the top socket which runs into my study upstairs where it connects to the HHUB5.
Bottom socket - I have my telephone plugged into the socket.
The Texecom Speech dialler was wired into the Master Socket, two wires into the user accessible terminals. It can plug into the bottom socket at the front but has not been connected like that, as yet. Wiring into the Master Socket seems to be clean but I d not understand the interference issue.
If I plug into the bottom socket then where do I put the phone? I presume if I had to go down that route then I would need a new face plate?
You could just get a plug in telephone doubler module.
This sounds promising and explains the interference, I will try this and let you know the outcome.
Any chance you can post a picture showing the filtered terminals I need to be using.
The socket already sticks out form the wall some distance so my preference would be to go for the filtered modules first.
Ok, yellow arrow is where I think you have it connected, these are unfiltered.
Red arrow is where is should be connected, these are filtered.
Black arrow is just showing where the test socket is.
Thank you Ray.
I will reach out to my Alarm Engineer and let me him know the information. Hopefully this will resolve the issue.
I will post the outcome here.
In case that does not work, then do you think it is worth running an extension from the filtered terminals, and then plug the Speech Dialler into the Extension Point.