cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 10

That 'When' Question - Fibre going in the ground right now...

We've been waiting ages and something is happening!

OpenReach engineers are working outside my house right now laying fbre for FTTP (I asked them).

But:

Openreach checker still says 'Exploring Solutions'.

SamKnows only reports that exchange is FTTC enabled.

Our cabinet has not been upgraded.

We live on a new housing estate.

Wondering from the experience of others how long it might take to go from Fibre going in the ground to a live connection to the house.

Yes, it might be 'how long is a piece of string' but interested in the experience of others.

Thanks,

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: That 'When' Question - Fibre going in the ground right now...

There is no time frame.

Every single area and installation is different and will take as long as it takes.

You only know it’s ready once you can order it.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Sage
Message 3 of 10

There's no such thing as an FTTC enabled exchange.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

Splitting hairs...
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 5 of 10

Pippincp - I didn’t say there was, my post states that SamKnows reports the exchange to be only FTTC enabled (there is a red x next to ‘FTTP enabled’ under the BT Wholesale section).

That aside, care to provide a more constructive comment about this apparently misleading information?
Highlighted
Sage
Message 6 of 10

Once an exchange is fibre enabled it can supply both FTTC and FTTP services. The red x next to FTTP simply means that it can not be ordered.

SamKnows only states what is available to order in the some of exchange area.

THIS checker is more informative than SamKnows.

Highlighted
Contributor
Message 7 of 10

Thank you - that’s really useful. Good to know that no further work needs to be done at the exchange.
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 10

I think the x means there’s just not FTTP areas currently live on the exchange (which is the same as meaning it can’t be orderd) however I would imaging FTTPoD is...
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 9 of 10

I learned something else - the cabinet isn't used for FTTP. The house fibre connections is to the street fibre which runs to the exchange. So the cabinet not being updraded isn't an issue. One less obstacle to be overcome.

Highlighted
Contributor
Message 10 of 10

I wouldn't believe what SamKnows says when it comes to FTTP. I've had FTTP at my house for over a year and SamKnows reckons the best I can get is ADSL! It would appear that when it comes to FTTP, SamKnows very little...
0 Ratings