cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 33

The nightmare of a new build and broadband!!

I got a house recently, new build. Moved in and foreman showed me the FTTP box fitted on the house and told me I needed to contact BT to order broadband, and they would in turn request Openreach to connect the house to the network. 

I had nearly 10 calls between Openreach and BT, both always saying it wasn't up to them, sending me to developers, builders, etc. No one was of help!

Address has been registered with royal mail for weeks now, so it's not like it's doesn't exist. 

Finally was able to get a landline ordered with BT, but sadly, not for 2 weeks, which meant it would take longer to get broadband. I am now working from home like many others and risk being fired if I cant get a connection. Order was placed and in the meantime I got myself 4G mobile broadband with another provided, to cover the gap. I got an email today the order was cancelled saying "New Build Verification" saying Openreach had identified that my property was registered with them as a new site and they'll decide what work was needed in order to get this going. 

Rang and was told there was no obvious notes or reasons listed as to why it had been cancelled so they put me back with sales to do the thing again. Again, another credit check and all that. Seriously annoyed by that at this point. Now I've been given a set up date for the engineer for the 8th of September for that landline. I definitely can get fired if this 4G thing doesn't work too well (never trusted mobile broadband, can have really terrible speeds) and no one is taking any responsibility over the connection.  If I call openreach they just tell me to go back to service provided, service provider tells me go to openreach or developers. Developers tell me they've never needed to be bothered by a new buyer about this, so now I don't know. The bottom line is, it's a nightmare, I may lose my job because of this, and it's NOT the right situation out there for that, with this covid stuff still ongoing. 

0 Ratings
32 REPLIES 32
Message 2 of 33

Re: The nightmare of a new build and broadband!!

If theres an OR ONT there then have you spoken to the FTTP team on 0800 587 4787? It may be that it's not signed off as ready for service but I'm sure if you can give the serial number off the box they should realise it's installed already & should be able to order broadband

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 33

Yep, that's when they told me to go back to developers so they talk to open reach, to which I was told they were not doing that. But yes, the box is there, one green light for power and the next one to it flashing green. Called out the serial number to them too, but like I said, was told to go somewhere else. 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 33

BT Retail cannot do anything until the issue is sorted out between the developer and Openreach.

You might want to point the developers to THIS

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 33

Yep, already spoke to developers that told me they had nothing else to do, and it was up to openreach to connect the house to the network
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 33

Called today as I had been told over the weekend to call to speak with new connections. 

Was told Openreach was evaluating the decision to either connect my house or wait to connect new parts of the estate (I get the "one and done" approach but who are they to determine if I should wait?). Was told my case was being sent to offline and not much more could be done now but wait to see if Openreach was going to wait to connect more houses in one go (which would be next month) or if they could connect me sooner. 

I explained I need broadband to work and I risk losing my job because of this. I can't depend on a sketchy 4G mobile broadband to work,and definitely can't risk losing my job considering how things are at the minute with Covid. 

I also explained builders last week tore a whole in the footpath of my street and put in a cable and after they covered I noticed the thing read "BT" outside (cement covering). I asked one of the guys who told me after that the street would be connected and I should be ok. 

We'll, see, but certainly can't be waiting forever 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 33

Well, this is absolute shambles!

Looked at my order today and sure enough, "engineer visit cancelled". Did I get a call from BT? Heck no. 

Half an hour on the phone with BT I'm given the pathetic answer that "Openreach says there's no copper there, so they can't connect a landline". Well thanks, Captain obvious!! I told repeatedly on every single call I've had that the FTTP box is within my house and it's clearly set up for it and not copper. Yet, making an order for a landline was "the only way to force an order so an Openreach engineer can go connect your house". Seems no one thought that if there's no copper and your phone line depends on copper you're not gonna get anywhere with that. 

Sweet Jesus Christ, I've lived in 3 continents and several countries and never have I seen such pathetic service and no will to work or get business. You'd think any company out there is eager to get business during covid, but seems this doesn't apply to Openreach and BT. 

Was told to ring in 24 hrs to ask to speak with "service" so they can place a new order. What for? I asked thinking I'm gonna be in the same place in 4 or 5 days... "No, well, they'll see what can be done". Truly, this is a disgrace. 

I got fed up called Sky, who told me if it's a new build they can't do anything for me, it has to be BT (surprise, surprise, another company that wants 0 business.)

Called then to ask to speak with FTTP team. At first the agent had no clue what I was talking about. Was passed with someone who basically brushed me off saying "if you've moved to a new build house, call Openreach, if we haven't been able to order anything for you twice, I can't do anything else". 

Great work BT. I will certainly sue you guy when I get fired for being unable to work.  

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 33

Who are you ringing if you have to ask to speak to the FTTP team. You've already been given their direct number in post #2.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 33

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 33

Use this number. 0800 587 4787

0 Ratings