So... Been dealing with Openreach for a few days. They finally added me so if I go to their website and put my postcode at least I can find my address but says "we need more information". This led to me being able to do same at BT's website, i.e. find my address but said the usual "oops, something went wrong" kinda error when displaying what could I get.
Flashforward to today where I got a call from the person looking after my case on behalf of the agent that was talking to me last week. He asked me what lights I was seeing and said green on power and flashing green on PON. Told him that from the outside of the house I could see a cable coming out of the ground and into the house and inside the house, above the white box I could see a black cable that was long and was wrapped and that had been there since I moved in. I imagined this cable needed fitting into the box, but that didn't fit the flashing green light.
Agent told me they would try to reset it remotely but maybe needed a technician to come connect cable. Told me I'd heard back soon and maybe if it could be done remotely I could place an order. Me now being curious decided to unwrap the cable to see what it was. To my surprise, it was an HDMI cable! I had another one also coming from where the aerial is, on another side of the wall. My guess is that these cables are meant to be so you can plug one to an AV and the other to the TV (based on the other one being where the aerial is). But I don't know. I have plugged them to the tv and there's no image coming from them so my guess was that.
Later a technician called me and asked me what I was seeing. I explained the cable situation and he told me indeed and hdmi would have nothing to do with the box and that he would report back to office to see if connection could be reset. I was warned I could see lights changing, even red light on los.
Like an hour later I was doing something else and noticed... POS has green light fixed, not flashing!! Was very thrilled. Went back to Openreach website to see and sure, my neighbor 2 doors down says they can get fastest fiber but me is still showing the "we need more info".
However as I was bored while having dinner I looked at BT's website and surprise, I was able to be offered speeds (which has never been the case), and was able to place an order. The guy who called me when I put a complain told me that the minute I was able to see my address they could probably put an order over the phone, but if I was seeing speeds and all, I could place an order without problem and that would trigger the usual procedure.
I am expecting Openreach agent will contact me tomorrow to confirm everything is ok on their end but we'll see. I'm crossing fingers I can get it sorted next week.
The two things here that have left me puzzled are the hdmi cables and the fact that I can see a cable going into my house, like literally a cable. Anyone could come and cut it with scissors, so I'm wondering how I could protect it. In any case, again, keeping my fingers crossed, working so far with the 4G thing has been a nightmare.
‘The two things here that have left me puzzled are the hdmi cables and the fact that I can see a cable going into my house, like literally a cable. Anyone could come and cut it with scissors, so I'm wondering how I could protect it. In any case, again, keeping my fingers crossed, working so far with the 4G thing has been a nightmare.‘
The cable on the outside should have a grey cover over it, Connector Duct it’s called. If one hasn’t been fitted the Developer should have some. Openreach provide them to the Builder to fit during build process. Failing that Openreach can fit one, most Engineers carry them, I tend to find the useless ones don’t. Although saying that you’d first have to get BT to send one and good luck with that, probably take another 18 months.
It's partially fitted, to be honest. Part of the cable is covered but there's a section that isn't.
So, after placing my order, last night, I got an email from BT saying there was a delay with my broadband and that fibre installation isn't complete but should be by the 28th instead.
I was still unable to see myself as ready on Openreach's website last night, but have gotten an email from the guy handling my case saying all was done on their end and I can order broadband now and they will close my case. Sure enough, checked their website this morning and do get everything as ok.
I wonder should I reach out to BT to verify this 28th date as this is the date Openreach had told me last week that my issue would be fixed at the latest (they said officially 28th but could be much sooner, as it ended up being). Maybe now that Openreach shows updated info, they can update theirs and I'd be ok to go on the 17th as was mentioned when I placed my broadband order.