Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 10

There's a hole in my upload...

78 down & 18 up on Infinity FTC.

Problem started this year. The upload drops to 5-8 but the DL remains at 70+.  I Restart HH5 and I'm back to 18. Its the 3rd time I have done this this year. It's as though whatever the auto circuit restart is that the exchange does isn't working properly and the upload is "leaking" like a hole in a bucket

Any thoughts other than "I wish I had those speeds" 

Thanks

David

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: There's a hole in my upload...

@DigitalDave 

Does the actual  upload connection speed drop, or is it just the upload rate that drops?

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 3 of 10

It is the connection speed.

Just to be clear I noticed this when I am uploading to WeTransfer. 1.6gb shouldn't give a predicted upload time of 25mins. Suspecting a speed drop, I stopped the upload and ran BTW speedchecker which reported 8 up. Restarted HH now showing18up and restarted upload, 5mins. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

What I was asking was whether the home hub is dropping the connection, and reconnecting at a slower upload sync speed due to something interfering with the physical upload connection.

That would show up on the hub connection page.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 5 of 10

Apologies Keith. No the connection is continuous.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 10

@DigitalDave wrote:

Apologies Keith. No the connection is continuous.

Are you by any chance, using powerline adapters to connect to the home hub?

If you are using powerline adapters, then please see this thread.

https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-setup-Wi-Fi-network/Connection-cut-when-uploading/m-p/1997762#M1703...

If not, then the issue is most likely within the home hub itself, perhaps its internal buffer is filling up and can only be cleared by resetting?

A factory reset of the home hub may help.

Do you have a different type of router you can try, to eliminate the home hub as the culprit?

The HH5 is also quite old now, and its possible one of the later home hubs may be better.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 7 of 10

No Powerlines. Even my BT TV box is fed by an external cable to an old HH3 setup as a repeater. Ironically I have had a HH6 on the shelf since the start of the year. https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Fibre-broadband/Hub5-or-Hub6/m-p/1994449#M297048

Maybe the time has come as the HH5 IS broke. I will duplicate the settings onto the HH6 and as you say this will eliminate the Hub as the culprit. Appreciate your clear thinking.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 8 of 10

@Keith_Beddoewrote:

The HH5 is also quite old now, and its possible one of the later home hubs may be better.

Hi @Keith_Beddoe ,

I find this strange as BT's solution to my constant disconnections was to replace my HH6 with a HH5.  Since then my disconnections have been almost non-existent. 

Despite the unavoidable movings of the PSU over Xmas my Downstream speed has never varied from 39.95Mbps either.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 10

@DigitalDave 

I would try the upload without anything else connected to the home hub, just in case its that external cable feeding the HH3 which is causing the home hub to reduce its upload speed.

I assume your PC is directly connected to one of the home hub Ethernet ports?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 10 of 10

@Keith_Beddoe  Bare in mind the drop off is gradual. 24 hours from restart still on 73/18 on PC wired direct HH and the same speed Wi-fi from the repeater. I will monitor over the next week and if necessary swap hubs as you suggested.

0 Ratings