cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

Things that affect FTTC broadband speeds

This is more of a general question rather than a "problem" as such - just trying to get my head round my predicted broadband speed.

I have a cabinet 80 meters from my house yet my max download speed on the bt wholesale website is "only" 50mb.

I've had a bit a nose around putting my neighbors addresses into the checker and it seems that most people on my street have predicted speeds of 80mb.

The only people on my street with the predicted speed in the 50s are the ones who's overhead telephone wires share the same pole as me. My pole is the closest to the cabinet.

I suppose the obvious explanation is that I'm not actually served by the cabinet that is closest to my house and that I'm actually served by another cabinet 1km or so away? But even so it's odd that the next pole along seems to be able to support 80mb and there is such a drop off over the next 30 meters or so.

So i'm wondering if there could be mechanisms where it could actually be detrimental to be the closest to the cabinet (from a crosstalk perspective for instance) or if there is a fault on the line somewhere that would be worth trying to get openreach to investigate?

I'm happy with the speeds I'm getting for my Fiber 1 package but if fiber 2 was available I would pay for it

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: Things that affect FTTC broadband speeds

welcome to the BT community forum where customers help customers and only BT employees are the forum mods

in order for the forum members to help please can you post the stats from your router (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser) and if  HH5 then go to troubleshooting then helpdesk and if HH6/SH2 then advanced settings then technical log information . 

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number   https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 4

If you already have ‘fibre 1’ you could simply examine your existing router stats, if the max attainable is tempting , you could try and upgrade , but if the max attainable is such that it would be a pointless, then its a moot point, but it’s possible that ( as you already know ) that the nearest cab isn’t necessarily the cab that serves you address...on the wholesale checker it should quote the cab number , and cabinets usually have their number painted on them.

FWIW, I’m around 80m from my cab and get 80Mb sync , I’ve never checked my max attainable but suspect it would be in the 100’s, but VDSL is configured to cap at  a max of 80Mb 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 4

My line stats tally up pretty will with the wholesale checker - 50mb ish - so I don'l think there are any issues as such.

Unfortunately it sounds like i'm not served by the cabinet near my house which is a shame but nothing I can do about that.

0 Ratings