cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bicceh
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 43

Thinking of leaving Virgin for BT Infinity - Advice Please (Reading Area)

Hello

At the start of March i had Virgin Media 30Mb installed and, after two weeks of unstable connection, it's safe to say it may have not been the best choice. Below are a few examples of the speeds / pings i'm getting at peak times:

As you can see from the images, there is a massive issue in Peak Time on Virgin at the moment, mainly to do with utalisation on the line, causing severe issues with anything other than surfing (i do a lot of online gaming by the way - so it's pretty impossible at the moment). I also have a ping monitor of last nights happenings:

Again notice how terrible things seem to go in peak hours.

So as i was saying, i've been looking at BT Infinity but have a few questions people may be able to answer. The main points i am concerned about are below:

1) What are pings / jitter readings like at peak times

2) What actual speeds do you get on the line (i know 40MB is an estimation)

3) How stable is the line through out peak hours

4) Is gaming possible?

Any advice would be greatly appretiated, even more so if you're living around the Reading (RG1) area as thats where i shall be getting the line if all goes well. I have until the start of next week to get out of the Virgin contract free of charge so would love to make a decision sooner rather than later

Thanks again for any help 🙂

0 Ratings
42 REPLIES 42
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 43

Re: Thinking of leaving Virgin for BT Infinity - Advice Please (Reading Area)

Ping is 15 on speedtest.net regardless of time of day.

37meg every single time.

Very stable, works the same regardless of time of day.

I have no issues playing PS3 online 🙂
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Bicceh
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 43

May i ask how far you are away from your exchange?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 43

More than 6Km from the exchange. About 120m away from the cabinet though.

Distance to the exchange is irrelevant for FTTC connections, it's how far you are from the cab.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
mirceaxj
Contributor
Message 5 of 43

Distance from the exchange is not important on fibre. Distance to the cab you're connected to is...
0 Ratings
Bicceh
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 43

Is there a way of finding out how far away i am from the cabinet?

0 Ratings
chrispajo
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 43

Hi Bicceh,

Short answer: definitely YES move to BT Infinity (or any equivalent FTTC ISP that operates over the Openreach network).

Long answer: Ever since I got BT Infinity 2 months ago, the connection has been the most stable connection I have ever used, and much more stable than the Virgin Media connection I used to have at my old home. Regarding peak time speeds, as you yourself have rightly stated, Virgin Media's network is vastly over utilised meaning that peak time service is well below par in dense residential areas. Seeing as Virgin Media own their own network, and it's very unlikely they'll start reselling services over the Openreach network, the only way that would improve is if Virgin Media lay more cable and/or place more cabs, which is not likely to happen any time soon in my opinion, given the cost and Virgin Media's financials.

I've just done a speed test now (4.30pm), and the results are below:

I get results very close to these at ALL times, and get very solid and consistent download speeds.

In terms of distance, i'm approximately 100 metres away from the cab (as the cable lies), but i've read that people well above that distance still receive very good service, albeit at gradually lower speeds in proportion to distance.

Best of luck with your decision.

PS. BT will soon be increasing the maximum FTTC speeds to 'up to' 80mbits/s, which Virgin Media would never be able to deliver consistently, even though they are advertising speeds above this.

Guru
Message 8 of 43

Yea i would definitely move over, i have a friend on Virgin who's on the 100MB package, but wants to move over to B.T but can't since his exchange isn't in the rollout yet.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution
0 Ratings
McGrath1982
Expert
Message 9 of 43

Same here I've had Infinity almost 12months now getting around DL 37.18Mbps UL 8.30Mbps and coming from O2 Broadband on 3.7Mbps last March. I've had 1 line fault in that time when my Landlord had a new door put in the house, I can't fault the service BT do with Infinity

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1847765847.png

0 Ratings
Bicceh
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 43

Good stuff, keep the advice coming!

I spoke to someone on the phone at BT today and they gave me and estimated speed of 40mb down 10mb up - but i guess they say that to pretty much everyone looking to sign up.

Anyone else have opinions on the gaming side of things?

Thanks again

0 Ratings