Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ANDY_T
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 38

Throttled back speed

Hi,

I've previously discovered on my old ADSL connecdtion that exchanges often "throttle back" the speed you get sent from the exchange equipment .. I succesfully complained about this as it turned out (confirmed via OpenReach equipment) that my speed was well below what I should get because the exchange was not even sending me as much as the expected speed...

I now find that my "new" Infinity Option 2 is getting the same treatment.

When installed I was getting 72-72 download and 19-20 upload for the first three weeks then all of a sudden..wham.. my download is reduced to less than 40..this being a good 45% drop in speed !!!!!:smileymad:

BT Speed 230313s.jpg

So I followed the process and used the BT HomeHelp and ran the expected speed tests on the software using my home phone number and also on the BTW (http://speedtest.btwholesale.com) test pages...

BT Speed 230313bs.jpg

The home help test returned the confirmed issue in that the BT exchange is now ONLY sending me 56.5Mb !

So it is impossible for me to get my quoted 60.7 Mb download and 20Mb upload I was quoted in my order confirmation ("contract")...

Quote:

Spoiler
Your broadband speed

Your download speed should be: 60.7Mb

Your upload speed should be: 20Mb

This "throttled back" issue is apparantly widespread.. my previous ADSL issue was sorted via a formal complaint and my line ringfenced to keep the speed promised...

Now I find that the same exchange is actually sending me less (56.5Mb) than the expected speed (60.7Mb) my order states in writing that I sould be getting... So how could they ever actually provide me with the quoted speed at my master socket Smiley Frustrated

I rang to make a complaint and I was told by the call centre that anything above 12Mb download was "acceptable" !!!!!!!!!!!!

If I am getting less speed than the next lowest contract states (40Mb) then at the very least I have been miss sold..

It's not as if the line wont support it as for the first three week I was getting over 70Mb at my wired to the hub PC with at least 20Mb upload...

The last time I complained it was sorted out with my line from the exchange being..and I'll quote the paperwork.. "unthrottled" so I could get the quoted speed..

Interestingly the ADSL line would support more as the engineer who came can apparantly use his/her laptop to connect via a dedicated line route using my line to the exchange and he managed over 7Mb. I should have been getting at least the quoted 3.75Mb but only ever got 2Mb ....

I'm very annoyed and dissapointed. There is nothing wrong with my line or my equipment that prevents me getting what BT have contracted to provide me..but by throttling back the line at the exchange they dont even "send" me the contracted speed...

I really do feel like I have been duped again by BT..they send me enough spped to get 70Mb+ for three weeks until the time limit for me to cancell my order without penalty has passed then throttle back my line so I will NEVER get the speed they have quoted I should get AT HOME....

I WILL UPDATE YOU WITH THE RESULT OF MY COMPLAINT, THE REF NUMBER IS : vol:012-*********.

Stage 1 was phoning up to complain..

Result = speed confirmed and checked. I was told a manager would ring me back.

0 Ratings
37 REPLIES 37
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 38

Re: Throttled back speed

Hi

The reason your speed has dropped is because of a noise issue this has caused the DLM to reduce your IP profile to stabilise the line all you need to do is leave the connection alone for up to 2 weeks and once the DLM see the line as stable again it should start to rise again

if you can run the BT wholesale speed test http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ then run the further diagnostics section of the test we can see your IP Profile this will help to advise you further

also if you cancel now you will be liable to cancellation charges for the remainder of your outstanding contract as free cancellation ends before the service goes live

0 Ratings
ANDY_T
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 38

john, seems like you didnt read the post above properly...
1: I was getting 70+Mb for three weeks.
2: I've run all the tests including the one you advised and you didnt even read the post to see...
3: I had the same issue with ADSL..it's throttling the line at the exchange..
4: My contract says I'll get 60.. I was getting 70 and now the exchange is ONLY sending me 56.5..

I dont like it when a large company like BT is trying to hoodwink customers like this..

re your comment on cancellation charges read the &%$£@# post above..

It seems like BT give you the speed until it's too late to cancel then throttle back the speed...sharp practice and misselling is what I call it.. If I dont get the line sorted I'll follow the complaints process and advertise it to everyone I can find and follow it all the way to ofcom..
0 Ratings
Guru
Message 4 of 38

The exchange ain't sending you any speed...

If this helped you please click the Star beside my name.

If this answered your question please click "Mark as Accepted Solution" below.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 38

i asked you to run the further diagnostic test on the bt speed test which is test 2 the one you posted is the first test
speeds are sold as UP TO not guaranteed once you post your Speed test and we can then see you IP Profile that will help further in resolving you problem
0 Ratings
ANDY_T
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 38

BTI test 2 0138 240313.jpg

0 Ratings
ANDY_T
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 38

As I said for the first three weeks I was getting 70Mb at home on the "speed test".. now I only get about 40Mbg and about 8Mb upload.

If this is what is expected by BT after the initial 3 weeks then this ShOULD be clearly set out in writing.. BUT BT told me in writing that I would get 60.7Mb and I've just gone through the new order process speed test and it told me AGAIN that I should get AT LEAST 60.7Mb at my home master socket.. this is NOT true.. It seems to be mis sselling.
0 Ratings
ANDY_T
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 38

BT Speed web quote on line 240313b.jpg

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 9 of 38

Use the continue button on the further diagnostics page to diagnose your connection?

If this helped you please click the Star beside my name.

If this answered your question please click "Mark as Accepted Solution" below.
0 Ratings
ANDY_T
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 38

So BT are still quoting that I will "achive" 60.7Mb at my master socket but are ONLY sending me less than that.. blatant miss selling !!!

MY Profile Unlimited BT Infinity 2 states I should get UPTO 76Mb download speed.. you are missing the point...

If BT dont send me more than 76Mb I'll never get the upto will I !

As it is they have quoted that I will get 60.7Mb out of the possible limit of 76Mb.. they test my line and state that in writing in the quote of expected speed having tested my line..

Indeed I was getting more than 70Mb for three weeks then wham.. after it was no longer possible possible to cancel my order they dropped the speed by ONLY SENDING 56.5 from the exchange equipment...

The term for this is "throttling back"

The line can handel more than 70Mb..as the first three weeks proved so why was the line throttled back to only send me 56.5Mb resulting in only about 40Mb arriving at my end... I've tested the line at all times of the day (I'm a shift worker) so it's noting to do with "peak times"..

BT should be sending me enough speed to attain the 60.7Mb expected speed as they have written when they quoted me for the order...

If I bought a car and it says I should be able to attain 60.7mpg if I follow the test parameters they set yet the vehicle is altered before I collect it to only do 40mpg it would be miss selling...

If I buy a packet of sweets that says the average weight should be 60.7 grams yet they only put 40grams in at the factory it's miss selling...

If I buy a printer cartridge that says I should get 60.7 A3 prints out of it yet the factory only puts in enough ink for 40 prints  then it's miss selling.

If I got to the cash point and ask for £70 yet it only gives me £40...etc...etc...

Thats bad enough..

But wehen BT state they have tested my line and I should get 60.7 MB out of the possible 76Mb profile then I would expect that they should be sending me at least the 76Mb from the exchange in order for4 me to get about the 60.7Mb at my end of the line..

When they send me ONLY 56.5Mb there is no way I would ever get near to the quoted 76Mb or even the 60.7Mb BT quoted I would get having tested my line.. why dont yet get this simple fact ?

0 Ratings