cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Parabola5551
Beginner
Message 1 of 13

Throttled connection? - Very confused and frustrated.

Go to solution

Hello.

I've been a BT customer for well over 2 and a half years now with a BT Infinity 2 (fibre optic only) deal. I received a standard setup with a HomeHub 5 - Type A. On the day I got the fibre optic installed, I took a speed test as I was very excited to finally experience download speeds of well over 1MB/s (referring to megaBYTES not bits).

Please note, these tests were all 100% wireless - read until the end before saying 'use wired'.

Here is the result of this test: http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3229003582

As you can see, the speeds are 59.58Mb/s down and 9.21Mb/s up. This test was taken on 13/1/2014 at 5:22 PM GMT which was the evening of the day when my fibre was installed. 

Since that date, my internet has been getting slower. 

This is a test which I took today when nobody was at home using the internethttp://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4602915529

The speed on this test is 41.25Mb/s down and 3.60Mb/s up. This is a massive decrease in my opinion, especially in the upload speed. I do a lot of content creation for YouTube so I need a consistently high upload speed.

Now, I spoke to a number of customer support staff online via livechat and they've stated that my line speed is maxed to 46-49Mb/s (they've all stated different things). How was it possible that my initial internet download speeds were at 59.58Mb/s if my line can only hold 49Mb/s without BT changing them?

I understand that at peak times (and just in general) the exchange box might get congested thus making speeds slower but I don't believe this is the case. I am a very heavy downloader so I'm guessing it's BT throttling my speed. Is there any way for me to confirm that it is BT throttling my speeds? If so, how can I get them to 'un-throttle' and get me back to at least 59Mb/s?

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 13

Re: Throttled connection? - Very confused and frustrated.

Go to solution
BT Do not throttle speeds

Can you run this checker and post back a screen shot of the results

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

and use this speed tester then carry out the further diagnostics and post back a screen shot of all the results including your IP profile for up and down. This test must be done with a wired connection.

http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

if you have a Homehub 5 can you also post the stats from 1-12 by logging onto the homehub management pages then troubleshooting > helpdesk. http://bthomehub.home/
BT will not investigate speed problems if using a wireless connection
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 13

Go to solution

BT do not throttled connections anymore. You can check by doing glasnost test. http://broadband.mpi-sws.org/transparency/bttest.php

Can an you post stats from hub by going to troubleshooting then helpdesk and post 1-12

run btspeedtester and when first test completes then run diagnostic test and post results. If test is done wireless BT will not accept the results as a download/upload problem. 

btspeedtester

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Parabola5551
Beginner
Message 4 of 13

Go to solution

Right, as requested:

Capture6.PNG

Capture7.png

Capture8.PNG

Unfortunately, it's virtually impossible for me to check it wired as my desktop is upstairs and I do not have a long enough ethernet cable.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 13

Go to solution

Your connection time is only 4hrs is that due to manual reset or router dropping connection?  Your noise margin is high at 10.5db and if you can maintain a stable connection that should reduce to about normal 6db which will increase your connection speed nearer attainable speed

try quiet line test. Dial 17070 option 2. Should be quiet and best with corded phone

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Parabola5551
Beginner
Message 6 of 13

Go to solution

I had to restart the router due to the livechat people asking me to. I'll do the test now thanks. My speed is fairly consistent.

0 Ratings
Parabola5551
Beginner
Message 7 of 13

Go to solution

I did the quiet line test. Doesn't seem to be anything abnormal (don't really know what to listen out for). The lady says "Quiet line test" and it's quiet. All I can hear is a very slight white noise (same as if you pick up the phone and not dialed anything but very very feint).

0 Ratings
Parabola5551
Beginner
Message 8 of 13

Go to solution

We do turn the device off every night before going to bed.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 13

Go to solution

You need to leave the hub connected 24/7 for the DLM to see your connection is good and stable and then it will start to reduce your noise margin with corresponding increases in speed. 

When em you get noise margin back to about 6db then you can go back to nightly switch off but it is best for your connection to be left on 24/7

Parabola5551
Beginner
Message 10 of 13

Go to solution

When you mention corresponding increase in speeds, do you mean up to the max of "47Mb/s" or back up to 59Mb/s like I was getting when I first got the unit installed.

0 Ratings