cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 13

Re: Throttled connection? - Very confused and frustrated.

Go to solution

@Parabola5551 wrote:

Hello.

I've been a BT customer for well over 2 and a half years now with a BT Infinity 2 (fibre optic only) deal. I received a standard setup with a HomeHub 5 - Type A. On the day I got the fibre optic installed, I took a speed test as I was very excited to finally experience download speeds of well over 1MB/s (referring to megaBYTES not bits).

Please note, these tests were all 100% wireless - read until the end before saying 'use wired'.

Here is the result of this test: http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3229003582

As you can see, the speeds are 59.58Mb/s down and 9.21Mb/s up. This test was taken on 13/1/2014 at 5:22 PM GMT which was the evening of the day when my fibre was installed. 

Since that date, my internet has been getting slower. 

This is a test which I took today when nobody was at home using the internethttp://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4602915529

The speed on this test is 41.25Mb/s down and 3.60Mb/s up. This is a massive decrease in my opinion, especially in the upload speed. I do a lot of content creation for YouTube so I need a consistently high upload speed.

Now, I spoke to a number of customer support staff online via livechat and they've stated that my line speed is maxed to 46-49Mb/s (they've all stated different things). How was it possible that my initial internet download speeds were at 59.58Mb/s if my line can only hold 49Mb/s without BT changing them?

I understand that at peak times (and just in general) the exchange box might get congested thus making speeds slower but I don't believe this is the case. I am a very heavy downloader so I'm guessing it's BT throttling my speed. Is there any way for me to confirm that it is BT throttling my speeds? If so, how can I get them to 'un-throttle' and get me back to at least 59Mb/s?

BT do not throttle speeds. You are probably suffering from the effects of crosstalk. As more people are connected to your cabinet the effect of crosstalk worsens. I have lost about 15Mb/s to crosstalk since the day I was connected.

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 13

Go to solution
Your attainable is 56mb and I would expect your connection to get nearer that but possibly depending on crosstalk nearer 52/53mb. But you need stable 24/7 connection and it can take a few weeks for it to happen

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Parabola5551
Beginner
Message 13 of 13

Go to solution

Right, okay. Thank you!

0 Ratings