Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Shadowze
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 6

Throttling / capped download speeds issue

Hi Good folks of the BT forum,

I have been on BT Infinty 2 for over 2 years now and been pretty happy up until 3 weeks ago

My house is very close to the cabinet and I get almost 76Mbps down and about 16ishMbps up

Which usuallu get me about just shy of 9MB/s per second when downloading (usenet,sftp/http etc)

For some reason about 3 weeks ago my speed has went really slow (I know there was some work at

the local cabinet about that time) I am only getting download of:

2 -3 MB/s max speed now on usenet

800Kb-1.1MB/s max speed on sftp to my server in France (doing data backup)

7MB/s - 8MB/s max speed on steam downloads (which is weird - UKbased servers?) 

I mainly schedule usenet and server backup downloads downoads for between 3am and 8am ( I have a dedicated server in France) which I have to backup data from so I do it when the network is less busy

I have contacted BT's "support team" (term used loosely) as they were not of much help I ran a bunch

of the BT wholesale speed tests over a few days ... varies from:

download: 55Mbps to 74Mbps

upload:  12Mbps to 16Mbps

ping: about 25ms to 40ms

Tried some speedtest.net speed tests as they will give real actual values not just on BT's network

speedtest from my house (in Northern Ireland) to London(voda) - D = 10.53Mbps , U = 17.12Mbps , 16ms
http://beta.speedtest.net/result/5719110434

I did some speed tests on my server in france to servers in England/NI

speedtest my dedi server in france to london(voda) - D = 726.38Mbps , U = 253.35Mbps , 7ms
http://beta.speedtest.net/result/5719047624

speedtest my dedi server in france to manchester - D = 490.33Mbps , U = 192.43Mbps , 30ms
http://beta.speedtest.net/result/5719053148

speedtest my dedi server in france to Enniskillen (Northern Ireland) - D = 614.03Mbps , U = 249.32Mbps , 21ms
http://beta.speedtest.net/result/5719056557

I did a test download on the server in France from usenet and got a steady 20.5MB/s

My server in france seems ok downloading and uploading ok but my house connectin seems to be limited in some way depending on what I am accessing

So I kinda think this looks like some form of traffic shaping/download speed limiting, can anyone else

offer an explaniation of what is going on?

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Throttling / capped download speeds issue

BT do not traffic shape or throttle.

There could be an issue anywhere on the route between your home and the source servers.

The speeds you've quoted from the wholesale speedtest indicate there's not an issue with the BT network.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Shadowze
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 6

Hi Webby,

Thanks for taking the time to reply, so to be clear BT themselves do NOT operate any traffic shaping?

Thats weird as my speedtests indicated France to London great , my house to London = poop speed

So the routing issue is in UK somewhere then ? Between BT's network and another network  ?

Would such an issue not be picked up by BT / other network provider and recitifed quickly (its been years since I used NRM software)

any hints to how to trace the issue?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

That's right, their unlimited packages are totally unlimited with no throttling or traffic shaping policies.

That certainly sounds possible, there could be a fault with a peering linke somewhere.

You could try turning your router off for an hour or so and reconnecting. You *may* get allocated a different IP address which could change the routing of your connection. It's a long shot but worth a try.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Shadowze
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 6

I tried switcing router off for a while and I did get a new IP address sadly speed is still rubbish

from 8MB/s to 900kbp/s is a massive fall off , I used to backup my server in under an hour now it is taking a day!!!!!!!!

I have had 4 calls to BT "support" people in India usual read off script type with no actual clue

Is there any way of talking to someone in the UK ?

0 Ratings
Shadowze
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 6

Still no result

BT have closed my support ticket even though I did not ask them to and the fault still persists

what I should get

76Mbps down     17Mbps up

what I get

12Mbps down  17Mbps up

Even though it should be clear to them that getting a fast upload than download would be an issue!

Is there any way of getting someone in the UK to look into this

This really is terrible support from BT

0 Ratings