cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Throttling

Hi

Could anyone tell me how to stop BT throttling my broadband. I am getting 52Mbps to my router and used to get 44Mbps to my smart TV. I have infinity 2 as I have four daughters and they all watch you tube, Netflix and stuff like that. In the last 2 weeks my broadband speed has reduced to 10Mbps at most and sometimes less than 1Mbps. I have been onto BT for four nights in a row now. The first night they said it was synchronisation issues and they have fixed the problem. I did a speed test and got 44Mbps, next morning it was back to 10Mbps

i phoned them again and they said it was my wifi settings and I should change them. I changed them and still no good.

spoke to them again tonight they tried to say wifi problems again and that I won't get full speed on wifi. I said I know this but I shouldn't be getting a drop of speed of 30Mbps or more from one day to the next. They said they will change setting at their end and try again in half an hour which I did and got 38Mbps. 2 hours later it is back down to 10Mbps. 

Funny thing is though if I turn the router off and do a speed test as soon as the router comes back on the speed test shows 50Mbps which the router is telling me I am receiving but then the speed test suddenly says network communication error.

tThey are definitely throttling my speed.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Throttling

BT don't throttle and haven't done for many, many years.

Is it only evenings when it happens? If so, it's likely congestion as opposed to throttling.

Have you tested with a wired connection when you're having the speed problems with all other devices disconnected?
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Nweddup
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 9

Are you certain no other devices are using the connection when your running the tests? Its surprising how much bandwidth can get munched by a phone or pc updating.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

Can you use this speed tester when your speed drops to its low level then carry out the further diagnostics and post back a screen shot of all the results including your IP profile for up and down. This test must be done with a wired connection.
http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

No all day long and evenings plus very early mornings.
In rented accommodation so can't go running wires.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

Yes as I am the only one still up at 2 in the morning trying to fix it before the kids get up and I leave for work.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

If I could hard wire it I wouldn't have this problem. Its midnight now and its running around 47 will check how it is tomorrow. Hopefully bt have fixed the problem.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 9

So you're saying the issue is wireless then?
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Highlighted
bratman91
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 9

0 Ratings