cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 11 of 14

Re: To far away for fibre

Don't expect too much more even if you are able to order VDSL2. I am 3300m from my local FTTC cabinet and get between 5.6Mbps and 7.0Mbps down, 0.7Mbps to 0.9Mbps up despite being on the 40/2 package. There is nothing you can do about the distance.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 12 of 14

Its stupid really. it could be 2040 by the time i can get fibre in my area. By that time virgin will have laid all there cables for the UK.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 13 of 14

Have you considered mobile broadband? There are some data-only tariffs of around 100Gb/month. You would have to calculate your current usage (most routers will tell you what has been used) and then allow a decent amount over that.

I did think about mobile but I am in a poor signal area too. It would require a rooftop  antenna to get a good connection. It is possible that mobile broadband is what those of us well under the USO will end up being offered.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 14 of 14

If it is a rural area with few houses then I'm afraid openreach won't see it as financially viable to build a new cab closer to you 😞 Annoying yes but they are a company in it for the money at the end of the day.

The only other option really is If the exchange near you can support FTTP then you can get the community to club together and pay for this to be installed yourselves which I think is the only way you will get anything faster at the moment. Even that won't be a quick process though.
0 Ratings