Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
loanhead
Aspiring Expert
Message 11 of 21

Re: Town has the exchange but is only area without FTTC

Go to solution

There are areas of Cullen which can get Infinity, I know the likes of Seatown/Seafield st etc aren't able to receive it yet. It's a staged roll out, Id think you would be able to get it soon.

Im in the sticks outside Rathven and I get it!

0 Ratings
wibblemonster
Contributor
Message 12 of 21

Go to solution

Just crazy and I cant understand openreach's thought process.

Why on earth did openreach decide that pretty much all the original part/main part of Cullen, out towards the Cullen Bay hotel, the golf club, and the harbour area which contain the bulk of customers, shops , more than 3 hotels and guest house including one being fully redeveloped and expanded, small industrial firms and the health centre which are all closest to the exchange were NOT the first to get FTTC and might never get it??

Surely common sense would say that part of town was the most economically viable.

So far the only postcodes getting FTTC and are all served by the Cullen exchange are the villages at least 1 mile or more away or part of the top town where the newer houses are.

Also checked on Scotland roadworks site and nothing planned for Cullen area.

There would at least be some light at the end the of the tunnel if openreach could at least confirm that those postcodes WILL get FTTC in the near future but their lack of transparency is shocking.

0 Ratings
shirts
Recognised Expert
Message 13 of 21

Go to solution

@wibblemonster wrote:

Surely common sense would say that part of town was the most economically viable.

Not having been to Cullen, I have no idea what size it is, but I would suggest it is on the smaller size. Because of this, I would think that many moons ago, it was decided to be easier (and cheaper) to supply the town directly from the exchange, whereas the villages in the local area, being to far from the exchange, would need there own cabinet. Unfortunately, FTTC is supplied from the local cabinet, whereas, as the lines in the town do not connect to a cabinet, there are unable to get FTTC. There are instances of Openreach installing cabinets outside some exchanges, but for some reason, this is not of a high priority.....presumably because of the expense involved, and the fact that being close to the exchange, ADSL speed should be resonable.........

If you found this post helpful, then please click the star on the left, after all, I'm only trying to help........Smiley Wink
0 Ratings
wibblemonster
Contributor
Message 14 of 21

Go to solution
As I mentioned earlier BT have confirmed that I'm not on an EO line and several of my neighbours have also checked. We are all connected to a cabinet. Large parts of town can only get around 2mbps at best and exchange is only ADSL Max for those not on fttc.

Very frustrating.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 21

Go to solution
Really strange then that the dsl checker does not show your cabinet number. Do you know where cabi is or can you see your street cabinet if you walk around near your home?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
shirts
Recognised Expert
Message 16 of 21

Go to solution

Sorry wibblemonster. I was not doubting you. I was doubting the information you were given by bt........Smiley Sad

If you found this post helpful, then please click the star on the left, after all, I'm only trying to help........Smiley Wink
0 Ratings
wibblemonster
Contributor
Message 17 of 21

Go to solution
I'm inclined to agree with you that the info BT provided is dubious, especially after several long walks around the town revealed only one cabinet and that's the one that does have fttc.
0 Ratings
Guru
Guru
Message 18 of 21

Go to solution

Hi wibblemonster,

This may be of some help.

Your area is within the Digital Scotland Superfast Broadband intervention area (the Scottish Government BDUK programme, in partnership with Openreach (BTplc), BDUK & the Scottish Government).

Having a look at http://www.digitalscotland.org/superfast-broadband/results-for-your-area , it would see the majority of the area is estimated to have fibre rolled out in the stages of 1) January 2014 to June 2014 & 2) July 2014 to December 2014.

Table showing the PCPs which are planned, currently in the process of being installed/ commissioned with a FTTC DSLAM cabinet or already Accepting FTTC Orders:

Cab location Exchange PCP (Cab) Number: Fibre Status
DESKFORD, BUCKIE, AB56 5YD CULLEN  1 Accepting FTTC Orders
SEAFIELD ROAD, CULLEN, BUCKIE, AB56 4AF CULLEN  2 Accepting FTTC Orders
TOCHIENEAL CORNER, LINTMILL, BUCKIE, AB56 4XR CULLEN  3 Accepting FTTC Orders
DESKFORD, BUCKIE, AB56 5YD CULLEN  4 Accepting FTTC Orders
PARK ST, PORTKNOCKIE, BUCKIE, AB56 4LT CULLEN  6 Accepting FTTC Orders
BLANTYRE ST, CULLEN, BUCKIE, AB56 4RP CULLEN  7 Still being installed/commissioned. Also PCP7 is possibly for re routed EO lines

jac_95 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
0 Ratings
wibblemonster
Contributor
Message 19 of 21

Go to solution

Many thanks, this is excellent information and makes a lot of sense as I know cabinet 2 is the one serving the postcodes that  can get FTTC in Cullen. Cabinets 1,3,4 and 6 are the others connected to Cullen exchange and serving the smaller outreaching villages.  The address of cabinet 7 is actually where the exchange in Cullen is and might explain why I couldn't find it in any of the streets and open reach could well be installing a PCP on the quite large estate the exchange sits on.

Cabinet 7 is undoutedly the Cabinet serving the bulk of the town of Cullen itself and the cabinet I'm connected to.

Many thanks jac_95

0 Ratings
Guru
Guru
Message 20 of 21

Go to solution

No problem wibblemonster.

Glad it helped 

jac_95 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
0 Ratings