Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
r1sh12
Expert
Message 11 of 17

Re: Traffic Management Issue For Online Gaming

I had this issue too,

Im not 100% sure but I think its to do with the HH3.

When that would happen,

As normal I would get host everyone is rubber band lagging all over the place and people all leave.

I then tried it with a party of 6, we went into a game, the other team were all lagging but not us.

Quick fix: Your NAT type is probably open but you are still getting these issues.

Restart the modem and router, that would fix it for the time I would be playing (xbox 360).

The next evening it was the same thing happened all over again, but I could not figure out why so I restarted the router only, it was fine for about 2 horus. I stopped playing and came back a few hours later and had the same issue. I tired restarting the modem only which fixed it, the next day back to square one.

With such games like Call of duty, even though they are P2P they are not heavy traffic users, if I remember correctly at any maximum time when playing black ops my downstream would max out at around 1200kbps or so...

When hosting its all about upload, but even then over a 3 hour session during peak times would still not cause any form of traffic shaping.

I did also try a straight connection from router to my xbox, which seemed to fix the problem.

I have since moved from the homehub 3 to a netgear (read my other thread) router, and havent had any speed issues or disconnections (wireless disconnections, my consoles are all wired).

I cannot currently say whether my new router is a solution but I will update my thread for any issues or solutions I have.

Hope this helps.

0 Ratings
lowei
Expert
Message 12 of 17

Having host in mw3 is awful because of lag compensation which was implamented on black ops as well.

http://www.google.co.uk/#sclient=psy-ab&hl=en&source=hp&q=lag+compensation+mw3&pbx=1&oq=lag+compensa...

0 Ratings
BluSkydive
Message 13 of 17

It definately doesn't happen with Battlefield 3 as the other guy was right, they use servers and not P2P. I am not a very happy person right now and would happily leave BT to go back to Virgin or dare I say it.. "Sky" as even though my speeds were a little bit less, they didnt throttle or mess around with my connection.

I will call BT tomorrow and ask for something to be done otherwise I will cancel my contract under the 14 day term.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 14 of 17

@BluSkydive wrote:

It definately doesn't happen with Battlefield 3 as the other guy was right, they use servers and not P2P. I am not a very happy person right now and would happily leave BT to go back to Virgin or dare I say it.. "Sky" as even though my speeds were a little bit less, they didnt throttle or mess around with my connection.

I will call BT tomorrow and ask for something to be done otherwise I will cancel my contract under the 14 day term.

What 14 day term is that then??. I think you will find that cancellation period ended the day your broadband/Infinity was activated. Its a service you have ordered not goods.

I think BT call it Network management (users call it throttling).

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
jcampy
Aspiring Expert
Message 15 of 17

many services use p2p if they are all throttled the same then you would have probelms with all services that use it eg skype you dont have massave lag problems with that do you and skype uses p2p packets some info here

p2pfoundation.net/Deep_Packet_Inspection

0 Ratings
General
Message 16 of 17

ok i have the same problem... i just had BT Infinity installed and when i pull host it makes every one else lag but not me, then they quit etc... i still have my Virigin cable  conection and have never had this problem. i have been in games like this aswell and had to quit out my self.   i am a heavy gamer and i thort BT Inifinity would be great but WTF is this.... any fixes yet? port forwarding? any thing because an 18 month contract is not a F*ing joke...

0 Ratings
tery
Message 17 of 17

well my freind this has nothing to do with your internet im on virgin and i to suffer i would advise typing in your browser bar lag compensation. us with faster connections are getting delayed by the game to supposedly make it fair but its all screwed up the best advice i can give you is stop buying call of duty as im a fan of there games to but i've had to stop playing them as i find it unplayable as  people keep getting a 2 second advantage over you i would consider playing bf3 or medal of honour as they use dedicated servers so no one hosts and its actually playable and enjoyable the only way activision will fix this if people stop buying there games

0 Ratings